Where simple sum and Divisia monetary aggregates part: illustrations and evidence for the United States
Empirical studies of money continue to use the Federal Reserve's official simple sum indexes, apparently in the belief that their behavior differs little from patterns exhibited by superlative indexes of money. This paper illustrates specific periods when this assumption is refuted and offers explanations for why simple sum and superlative indexes of money are likely to move differently at economic turning points.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2005|
|Date of revision:||Mar 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rotemberg, Julio J & Driscoll, John C & Poterba, James M, 1995.
"Money, Output, and Prices: Evidence from a New Monetary Aggregate,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 67-83, January.
- Rotemberg, J.J. & Driscoll, J.C. & Poterba, J.M., 1991. "Money, Output, and Prices: Evidence from a New Monetary Aggregate," Working papers 585, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & John C. Driscoll & James M. Poterba, 1991. "Money, Output and Prices: Evidence from A New Monetary Aggregate," NBER Working Papers 3824, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Swofford, James L & Whitney, Gerald A, 1987. "Nonparametric Tests of Utility Maximization and Weak Separability for Consumption, Leisure and Money," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 458-64, August.
- Carl F. Christ, 1993. "Assessing applied econometric results," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 71-94.
- Kenneth A. Kavajecz, 1994. "The evolution of the Federal Reserve's monetary aggregates: a timeline," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 32-66.
- Kenneth A. Kavajecz, 1994. "The evolution of the Federal Reserve's monetary aggregates: a timeline," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 32-66.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:18969. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.