Some Empirical Evidence on the Demand for Money in the Pacific Island Countries
This paper explores the stability of the demand for narrow money in the Pacific Island Countries viz, Fiji, Vanuatu, Samoa, Solomons and Papua New Guinea (PNG). The results from the time series approaches of LSE-Hendry’s General to Specific (GETS) and Johansen’s Maximum Likelihood (JML) suggest that real income, nominal rate of interest and real narrow money, are cointegrated. The CUSUM and CUSUMSQ stability test results indicate that the demand for money functions for these countries are stable and therefore the respective monetary authorities may consider targeting money supply in their conduct of monetary policy.
|Date of creation:||19 Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Kumar, Saten, 2008.
"A Panel Data Approach to the Demand for Money and the Effects of Financial Reforms in the Asian Countries,"
6565, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Kumar, Saten, 2009. "A panel data approach to the demand for money and the effects of financial reforms in the Asian countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1012-1017, September.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Kumar, Saten, 2007.
"Cointegration, structural breaks and the demand for money in Bangladesh,"
1546, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- B. Bhaskara Rao & Saten Kumar, 2009. "Cointegration, structural breaks and the demand for money in Bangladesh," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(10), pages 1277-1283.
- William Poole, 1969.
"Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model,"
Special Studies Papers
2, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Poole, William, 1970. "Optimal Choice of Monetary Policy Instruments in a Simple Stochastic Macro Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 197-216, May.
- William Poole, 1970. "Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model," Staff Studies 57, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- B Bhaskara Rao & Rup Singh, 2005. "A Cointegration And Error Correction Approach To Demand For Money In Fiji: 1971-2002," Macroeconomics 0511012, EconWPA.
- Subramanian S. Sriram, 1999. "Survey of Literatureon Demand for Money; Theoretical and Empirical Work with Special Reference to Error-Correction Models," IMF Working Papers 99/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Kumar, Saten & Manoka, Billy, 2008. "Testing the Stability of Demand for Money in Tonga," MPRA Paper 19300, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Hafez Rehman, 2005. "Stability of the money demand function in Asian developing countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(7), pages 773-792.
- Chinna Kannapiran, 2001. "Stability of Money Demand and Monetary Policy in Papua New Guinea (PNG): An Error Correction Model Analysis," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 73-84.
- Rup Singh & Saten Kumar, 2012.
"Application of the alternative techniques to estimate demand for money in developing countries,"
Journal of Developing Areas,
Tennessee State University, College of Business, vol. 46(2), pages 43-63, July-Dece.
- Singh, Rup & Kumar, Saten, 2007. "Application of the Alternative Techniques to Estimate Demand for Money in Developing Countries," MPRA Paper 19295, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Saten Kumar, 2007. "The Stability of Demand for Money in Bangladesh: Time Series Methods," The IUP Journal of Monetary Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(2), pages 27-35, May.
- Kumar, Saten, 2009. "A Re-examination of Private Consumption in Fiji," MPRA Paper 18706, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Saten Kumar, 2008. "Income and Price Elasticities of Exports in Philippines," The IUP Journal of Applied Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(6), pages 40-46, November.
- B. Bhaskara Rao & Rup Singh, 2006. "Demand for money for Fiji with PcGets," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(15), pages 987-991.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:18703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.