Dynamic of Employment and Wages Incentives
This paper studies a dynamic model with efficiency wages and adjustment costs associated with hiring and firing decisions. With linear adjustment costs, the optimal efficiency wage and employment are affected by the real interest rate and adjustment costs. When lumpy costs or convex adjustment costs (symmetric or asymmetric) are taken into account, the interest rate and the adjustment costs do not play any role in determining the equilibrium efficiency wage and level of employment.
|Date of creation:||08 Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aizcorbe, Ana M, 1992. "Procyclical Labour Productivity, Increasing Returns to Labour and Labour Hoarding in Car Assembly Plant Employment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(413), pages 860-73, July.
- Ray C. Fair, 1984.
"Excess Labor and the Business Cycle,"
NBER Working Papers
1292, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matthew D. Shapiro, 1984.
"The Dynamic Demand for Capital and Labor,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
735, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Faria, Joao Ricardo, 2000. "Supervision and effort in an intertemporal efficiency wage model: the role of the Solow condition," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 93-98, April.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S. & Pfann, Gerard Antonie, 1996.
"Adjustment Costs in Factor Demand,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1371, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1987. "The Causes and Consequences of the Dependence of Quality on Price," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 1-48, March.
- Ramaswamy, Ramana & Rowthorn, Robert E, 1991. "Efficiency Wages and Wage Dispersion," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(232), pages 501-14, November.
- Nickell, Stephen, 1984. "An Investigation of the Determinants of Manufacturing Employment in the United Kingdom," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(4), pages 529-57, October.
- Jellal, Mohamed & Zenou, Yves, 2000.
"A dynamic efficiency wage model with learning by doing,"
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 99-105, January.
- Jellal, Mohamed & Zenou, Yves, 2000. "A dynamic efficiency wage model with learning by doing," MPRA Paper 38513, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S & Pfann, Gerard A, 1996.
"Turnover and the Dynamics of Labour Demand,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(251), pages 359-67, August.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1988.
"Labor Demand and the Structure of Adjustment Costs,"
NBER Working Papers
2572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S, 1989. "Labor Demand and the Structure of Adjustment Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 674-89, September.
- Robert E. Lucas & Jr., 1967. "Adjustment Costs and the Theory of Supply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 321.
- Fay, Jon A & Medoff, James L, 1985. "Labor and Output over the Business Cycle: Some Direct Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 638-55, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:17183. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.