Dynamic of Employment and Wages Incentives
This paper studies a dynamic model with efficiency wages and adjustment costs associated with hiring and firing decisions. With linear adjustment costs, the optimal efficiency wage and employment are affected by the real interest rate and adjustment costs. When lumpy costs or convex adjustment costs (symmetric or asymmetric) are taken into account, the interest rate and the adjustment costs do not play any role in determining the equilibrium efficiency wage and level of employment.
|Date of creation:||08 Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1987. "The Causes and Consequences of the Dependence of Quality on Price," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 1-48, March.
- Fay, Jon A & Medoff, James L, 1985. "Labor and Output over the Business Cycle: Some Direct Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 638-55, September.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Gerard A. Pfann, 1996.
"Adjustment Costs in Factor Demand,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 34(3), pages 1264-1292, September.
- Ramaswamy, Ramana & Rowthorn, Robert E, 1991. "Efficiency Wages and Wage Dispersion," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(232), pages 501-14, November.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Gerard Pfann, 1992.
"Turnover and the Dynamics of Labor Demand,"
NBER Working Papers
4204, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S, 1989.
"Labor Demand and the Structure of Adjustment Costs,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 674-89, September.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1988. "Labor Demand and the Structure of Adjustment Costs," NBER Working Papers 2572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ray C. Fair, 1984.
"Excess Labor and the Business Cycle,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
692, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Matthew D. Shapiro, 1984.
"The Dynamic Demand for Capital and Labor,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
735, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Jellal, Mohamed & Zenou, Yves, 2000.
"A dynamic efficiency wage model with learning by doing,"
38513, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jellal, Mohamed & Zenou, Yves, 2000. "A dynamic efficiency wage model with learning by doing," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 99-105, January.
- Nickell, Stephen, 1984. "An Investigation of the Determinants of Manufacturing Employment in the United Kingdom," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(4), pages 529-57, October.
- Faria, Joao Ricardo, 2000. "Supervision and effort in an intertemporal efficiency wage model: the role of the Solow condition," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 93-98, April.
- Aizcorbe, Ana M, 1992. "Procyclical Labour Productivity, Increasing Returns to Labour and Labour Hoarding in Car Assembly Plant Employment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(413), pages 860-73, July.
- Robert E. Lucas & Jr., 1967. "Adjustment Costs and the Theory of Supply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 321.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:17183. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.