On the Generalized Weitzman's Rule
Weitzman (1976) provides a foundation for net national product of a competitive economy as the annuity equivalent of the present discounted value of maximized consumption. This paper considers how Weitzman's rule should be modified if the competitive equilibrium is affected by the presence of market distortions. The paper first examines the model with external effects of capital in which there are spillovers of knowledge. The paper also studies the model with policy interventions where the policy maker seeks the second best allocation. The central concern of the paper is to elucidate the factors that generate a divergence between net national product and the welfare equivalence of maximized consumption. In discussing each model, the paper presents a typical example that has been widely discussed in the literature.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine & Paul M. Romer, 1990.
"On characterizing equilibria of economies with externalities and taxes as solutions to optimization problems,"
436, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Levine, David K & Romer, Paul M, 1992. "On Characterizing Equilibria of Economies with Externalities and Taxes as Solutions to Optimization Problems," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 2(1), pages 43-68, January.
- Asheim, Geir B, 1997. " Adjusting Green NNP to Measure Sustainability," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(3), pages 355-70, September.
- John C. V. Pezzey, 2002.
"Measuring Technical Progress in Gross and Net Products,"
Economics and Environment Network Working Papers
0202, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Pezzey, John C. V., 2003. "Measuring technical progress in gross and net products," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 247-252, February.
- Hartwick, John M, 1994. " National Wealth and Net National Product," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(2), pages 253-56.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 1996.
"Returns to scale in U.S. production: estimates and implications,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
546, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Basu, Susanto & Fernald, John G, 1997. "Returns to Scale in U.S. Production: Estimates and Implications," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 249-83, April.
- Thomas Aronsson & Karl-Gustaf Löfgren, 1995. "National product related welfare measures in the presence of technological change: Externalities and uncertainty," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 5(4), pages 321-332, June.
- Sato, Ryuzo, 1985. "The invariance principle and income-wealth conservation laws : Application of Lie groups and related transformations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 365-389.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Kevin J. Lansing, 1998.
"Optimal redistributive capital taxation in a neoclassical growth model,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
99-01, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Lansing, Kevin J., 1999. "Optimal redistributive capital taxation in a neoclassical growth model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 423-453, September.
- Geir B. Asheim, 2002.
"Green National Accounting for Welfare and Sustainability: A Taxonomy of Assumptions and Results,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
827, CESifo Group Munich.
- Geir B. Asheim, 2003. "Green national accounting for welfare and sustainability:A Taxonomy Of Assumptions And Results," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(2), pages 113-130, 05.
- Asheim, Geir, 2003. "Green national accounting for welfare and sustainability: A taxonomy of assumptions and results," Memorandum 31/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1997. " Sustainability and Technical Progress," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(1), pages 1-13, March.
- M. L. Weitzman, 1974.
"On the Welfare Significance of National Product in Dynamic Economy,"
125, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1976. "On the Welfare Significance of National Product in a Dynamic Economy," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 90(1), pages 156-162.
- Avinash Dixit & Peter Hammond & Michael Hoel, 1980. "On Hartwick's Rule for Regular Maximin Paths of Capital Accumulation and Resource Depletion," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(3), pages 551-556.
- Hartwick, John M, 1977.
"Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 972-74, December.
- John Hartwick, 1976. "Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources," Working Papers 220, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Hulten, Charles R, 1992. " Accounting for the Wealth of Nations: The Net versus Gross Output Controversy and Its Ramifications," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S9-24, Supplemen.
- Mino, Kazuo, 2001.
"Optimal taxation in dynamic economies with increasing returns,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 235-253, August.
- Mino, Kazuo, 2000. "Optimal Taxation in Dynamic Economies with Increasing Returns," MPRA Paper 17324, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chamley, Christophe, 1986. "Optimal Taxation of Capital Income in General Equilibrium with Infinite Lives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 607-22, May.
- Asheim, Geir B, 1994. " Net National Product as an Indicator of Sustainability," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(2), pages 257-65.
- Pemberton, Malcolm & Ulph, David, 2001. " Measuring Income and Measuring Sustainability," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(1), pages 25-40, March.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Lofgren, Karl-Gustaf, 1996. " Social Accounting and Welfare Measurement in a Growth Model with Human Capital," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(2), pages 185-201, June.
- Mino, Kazuo, 2001. "On Time Consistency in Stackelberg Differential Games," MPRA Paper 17028, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John M. Hartwick & Ngo Van Long, 1996.
"Constant Consumption and the Economic Depreciation of Natural Capital : The Non Autonomous Case,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Hartwick, John M & Long, Ngo Van, 1999. "Constant Consumption and the Economic Depreciation of Natural Capital: The Nonautonomous Case," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(1), pages 53-62, February.
- Sato, Ryuzo & Kim, Youngduk, 2002. "Hartwick's rule and economic conservation laws," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 437-449, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:16996. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.