Understanding Economic Growth in Indian States
The present study tries to understand the trends and determinants of economic growth in Indian states. For this, it considers two important determinants such as infrastructure and financial development. With the help of panel time series models, the study concludes that although both the variables are highly correlated with economic growth, it is the social sector development that is having higher impact on the economic growth. In terms of the role of financial sector, the results show that although it is necessary to have development in terms of increase in number of bank branches, it is the extent of bank business that is more important in the growth process.
|Date of creation:||15 May 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 1999.
"Diversity of Opinion and Financing of New Technologies,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 8(1-2), pages 68-89, January.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 1998. "Diversity of Opinion and Financing of New Technologies," Working Papers 98-29, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 1999. "Diversity of Opinion and Financing of New Technologies," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 98-30, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Laura Alfaro & Selin Sayek & Areendam Chanda, 2002.
"FDI and Economic Growth: The Role of Local Financial Markets,"
- Alfaro, Laura & Chanda, Areendam & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sayek, Selin, 2004. "FDI and economic growth: the role of local financial markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Laura Alfaro & Areendam Chanda & Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Selin Sayek, 2006.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Promote Economic Growth? Exploring the Effects of Financial Markets on Linkages,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c011_023, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Kalemli-Özcan, Sebnem & Chanda, Areendam & Alfaro, Laura & Sayek, Selin, 2007. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Promote Economic Growth? Exploring The Effects Of Financial Markets On Linkages," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Göttingen 2007 28, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Laura Alfaro & Areendam Chanda & Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Selin Sayek, 2006. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Promote Economic Growth? Exploring the Effects of Financial Markets on Linkages," NBER Working Papers 12522, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Areendam Chanda & Laura Alfaro & Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Selin Sayek, . "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Promote Economic Growth? Exploring the Effects of Financial Markets on Linkages," Departmental Working Papers 2006-13, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:16478. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.