Constitutions, Regulations, and Taxes: Contradictions of Different Aspects of Decentralization
The paper confronts different aspects of decentralization: fiscal decentralization, post-constitutional regulatory decentralization, and constitutional decentralization – using a single dataset from Russian Federation of the Yeltsin period as a politically asymmetric country. It finds virtually no correlation between different decentralization aspects; moreover, three processes of devolution appearing in the same country at the same time seem to be driven by different (though partly overlapping) forces. Hence, a specific aspect of decentralization is hardly able to serve as a proxy for another one or for the overall decentralization process.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Chesher, 2010.
"Instrumental Variable Models for Discrete Outcomes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 78(2), pages 575-601, 03.
- Andrew Chesher, 2008. "Instrumental variable models for discrete outcomes," CeMMAP working papers CWP30/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Sharma, Chanchal Kumar, 2004. "Decentralization Dilemma: Measuring the Degree and Evaluating the Outcomes," MPRA Paper 204, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2005.
- Irina Slinko & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya & Evgeny Yakovlev, 2005.
"Laws for Sale: Evidence from Russia,"
American Law and Economics Review,
Oxford University Press, vol. 7(1), pages 284-318.
- Irina Slinko & Evgeny Yakovlev & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2003. "Laws for Sale: Evidence from Russia," Working Papers w0031, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Irina Slinko & Evgeny Yakovlev & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2004. "Laws for Sale: Evidence from Russia," Economics Working Papers 0046, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Arne Risa Hole, 2006. "Calculating Murphy-Topel variance estimates in Stata: A simplified procedure," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(4), pages 521-529, December.
- Emmanuelle Reulier & L. Silveira Costa & I.N. Ogboyi, 2002. "Fiscal competition," Post-Print halshs-00078349, HAL.
- Steven Rosefielde & Natalia Vennikova, 2004. "Fiscal federalism in Russia: a critique of the OECD proposals," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(2), pages 307-318, March.
- Vladimir Popov, 2004. "Fiscal Federalism in Russia: Rules versus Electoral Politics," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(4), pages 515-541, December.
- Xavier X. Sala-i-Martin, 1997.
"I Just Ran Four Million Regressions,"
NBER Working Papers
6252, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dan Stegarescu, 2005. "Public sector decentralisation: measurement concepts and recent international trends," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 26(3), pages 301-333, September.
- Panizza, Ugo, 1999. "On the determinants of fiscal centralization: Theory and evidence," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 97-139, October.
- Wallace E. Oates, 2002. "Fiscal and Regulatory Competition: Theory and Evidence," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 3(4), pages 377-390, November.
- Buchanan, James M & Faith, Roger L, 1987. "Secession and the Limits of Taxation: Toward a Theory of Internal Exit," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 1023-31, December.
- Alexander Libman & Lars P. Feld, 2013.
"Strategic Tax Collection and Fiscal Decentralization: The Case of Russia,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 14(4), pages 449-482, November.
- Alexander Libman & Lars P. Feld, 2009. "Strategic tax collection and fiscal decentralization: the case of Russia," Working Papers 2009/11, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Alexander Libman & Lars P. Feld, 2007. "Strategic Tax Collection and Fiscal Decentralisation: The Case of Russia," CREMA Working Paper Series 2007-09, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Lars P. Feld & Alexander Libman, 2007. "Strategic Tax Collection and Fiscal Decentralisation: The Case of Russia," CESifo Working Paper Series 2031, CESifo Group Munich.
- Koleman S. Strumpf & Felix Oberholzer-Gee, 2002. "Endogenous Policy Decentralization: Testing the Central Tenet of Economic Federalism," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(1), pages 1-36, February.
- Elena Jarocinska, 2008.
"Are Intergovernmental Grants Tactical? The Evidence from Russia,"
CASE Network Studies and Analyses
0361, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Jan Schnellenbach & Lars Feld & Christoph schaltegger, 2007.
"The Impact of Referendums on the Centralisation of Public Goods Provision: A Political Economy Approach,"
0440, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised May 2007.
- Jan Schnellenbach & Lars Feld & Christoph Schaltegger, 2010. "The impact of referendums on the centralisation of public goods provision: a political economy approach," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 3-26, February.
- Jan Schnellenbach & Lars P. Feld & Christoph A. Schaltegger, 2006. "The Impact of Referendums on the Centralisation of Public Goods Provision: A Political Economy Approach," CESifo Working Paper Series 1803, CESifo Group Munich.
- Feld, Lars P. & Schaltegger, Christoph A. & Schnellenbach, Jan, 2008. "On government centralization and fiscal referendums," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 611-645, May.
- Lorenz Blume & Stefan Voigt, 2011.
"Federalism and decentralization—a critical survey of frequently used indicators,"
Constitutional Political Economy,
Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 238-264, September.
- Lorenz Blume & Stefan Voigt, 2008. "Federalism and Decentralization – A Critical Survey of Frequently Used Indicators," MAGKS Papers on Economics 200821, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Ben-Bassat, Avi & Dahan, Momi, 2008. "Social rights in the constitution and in practice," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 103-119, March.
- Arzaghi, Mohammad & Henderson, J. Vernon, 2005. "Why countries are fiscally decentralizing," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(7), pages 1157-1189, July.
- Ebel, Robert D. & Yilmaz, Serdar, 2002. "On the measurement and impact of fiscal decentralization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2809, The World Bank.
- Chris Mulhearn & Howard R. Vane, 2008. "The Euro," Books, Edward Elgar, number 12566.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:15854. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.