“Ombro-Cabeça-Ombro”: Testando a Lucratividade do Padrão Gráfico de Análise Técnica no Mercado de Ações Brasileiro
[Head and Shoulder: testing the profitability of graphic pattern of technical analysis for the Brazilian Stock Exchange]
Starting from an adapted version of Osler and Chang (1995) methodology, this article empirically evaluates the profitability of investment strategies based on identification of the Head and Shoulders chart pattern in the Brazilian stock market. For that purpose, several investment strategies conditioned by the identification of the Head and Shoulders pattern (in its basic and inverted forms) by a computer algorithm in daily price series of 30 stocks from January 1994 to January 2009 were defined. Confidence intervals consistent with the null hypothesis that no strategies with positive returns can be based only on historical data were constructed using the Bootstrap sample inference technique in order to test the predictive power of each strategy. More specifically, the mean returns obtained by each strategy when applied to the stock’s price series were compared to those obtained by the same strategies when applied to 1.000 artificial price series - for each stock - generated in a parametric manner, by an E-GARCH, and in a nonparametric one. Overall, our results show that it is possible to create strategies conditioned by the occurrence of Head and Shoulders, with positive returns, which indicates that these patterns can capture from stock historical prices some signals about their future price trend that makes possible to create profitable strategies. Nevertheless, the same conclusions are not valid for the pattern in its inverted form and when the effects of taxes and transaction costs are considered, depending on their magnitude, neither in its basic form.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brock, W. & Lakonishok, J. & Lebaron, B., 1991.
"Simple Technical Trading Rules And The Stochastic Properties Of Stock Returns,"
90-22, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Brock, William & Lakonishok, Josef & LeBaron, Blake, 1992. " Simple Technical Trading Rules and the Stochastic Properties of Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 1731-64, December.
- Cajueiro, Daniel O. & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2005. "Possible causes of long-range dependence in the Brazilian stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 345(3), pages 635-645.
- Cheol-Ho Park & Scott H. Irwin, 2007. "What Do We Know About The Profitability Of Technical Analysis?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(4), pages 786-826, 09.
- C.L. Osler & P.H. Kevin Chang, 1995. "Head and shoulders: not just a flaky pattern," Staff Reports 4, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1987.
"Stock Market Prices Do Not Follow Random Walks: Evidence From a Simple Specification Test,"
NBER Working Papers
2168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo, A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988. "Stock Market Prices do not Follow Random Walks: Evidence from a Simple Specification Test," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 41-66.
- Coelho, Cristiano Augusto Fernandes & Bonomo, Marco Antônio Cesar & Torres, Ricardo, 2000.
"A Aleatoriedade do Passeio na Bovespa: Testando a Eficiência do Mercado Acionário Brasileira,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
402, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Torres, Ricardo & Bonomo, Marco Antonio Cesar & Fernandes, Cristiano, 2002. "A Aleatoriedade do Passeio na Bovespa: Testando a Eficiência do Mercado Acionário Brasileiro," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 56(2), April.
- Andrew W. Lo & Harry Mamaysky & Jiang Wang, 2000.
"Foundations of Technical Analysis: Computational Algorithms, Statistical Inference, and Empirical Implementation,"
NBER Working Papers
7613, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo & Harry Mamaysky & Jiang Wang, 2000. "Foundations of Technical Analysis: Computational Algorithms, Statistical Inference, and Empirical Implementation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(4), pages 1705-1770, 08.
- Andrew Lo & Harry Mamaysky & Jiang Wang, 1999. "Foundations of Technical Analysis: Computational Algorithms, Statistical Inference, and Empirical Implementation," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 402, Society for Computational Economics.
- Saffi, Pedro A. C., 2003. "Análise Técnica: Sorte ou Realidade?," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 57(4), October.
- Chang, Eui Jung & Lima, Eduardo Jose Araujo & Tabak, Benjamin Miranda, 2004. "Testing for predictability in emerging equity markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 295-316, September.
- Cajueiro, Daniel O. & Tabak, Benjamin M. & Souza, Nathalia A., 2005. "Periodic market closures and the long-range dependence phenomena in the Brazilian equity market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 351(2), pages 512-522.
- Jensen, Michael C & Bennington, George A, 1970. "Random Walks and Technical Theories: Some Additional Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 469-82, May.
- Jensen, Michael C., 1978. "Some anomalous evidence regarding market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2-3), pages 95-101.
- Baptista, Ricardo Fuscaldi de Figueiredo & Pereira, Pedro Luiz Valls, 2009.
"Análise do desempenho de regras da análise técnica aplicada ao mercado intradiário do contrato futuro do índice Ibovespa,"
Textos para discussão
173, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Baptista, Ricardo F. de F. & Valls Pereira, Pedro L., 2008.
"Análise do Desempenho de Regras de Análise Técnica Aplicada ao Mercado Intradiário do Contrato Futuro do Índice Bovespa
[Analysis of the performance of Technical Analysis startegies applied to Intr," MPRA Paper 10351, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baptista, Ricardo F. de F. & Valls Pereira, Pedro L., 2008. "Análise do Desempenho de Regras de Análise Técnica Aplicada ao Mercado Intradiário do Contrato Futuro do Índice Bovespa
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:15653. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.