Desigualdade e Pobreza: Fatos Estilizados e Simulações
[Inequality and Poverty: Stylized Facts and Simulations]
This paper analyses the relations between poverty, inequality and economic growth in Brazil. First of all, based on recent research, it shows characteristics and historical evolution of inequality and poverty. These characteristics are not novelty to specialized research, but drawing them as stylized facts gives a comprehensive idea of the matter. Then the work builds simulations based on Mendonça & Paes de Barros’s methodology (1997). These simulations depict the impact of economic growth and inequality on poverty and agree with both empirical evidences from recent papers and results found by those authors. The exercise shows an inverse relation between growth and poverty, and a positive one between inequality and poverty. Finally, the paper criticizes the recent Brazilian research.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn, 1998. "New ways of looking at old issues: inequality and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 259-287.
- Galor, Oded & Zeira, Joseph, 1993.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 35-52, January.
- Rodrik, Dani & Alesina, Alberto, 1994.
"Distributive Politics and Economic Growth,"
4551798, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1994.
"Is Inequality Harmful for Growth?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 600-621, June.
- Francisco de Hollanda Guimarães Ferreira, 2000. "Os determinantes da desigualdade de renda no Brasil: Luta de classes ou heterogeneidade educacional?," Textos para discussão 415, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:15570. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.