Desigualdade e Pobreza: Fatos Estilizados e Simulações
[Inequality and Poverty: Stylized Facts and Simulations]
This paper analyses the relations between poverty, inequality and economic growth in Brazil. First of all, based on recent research, it shows characteristics and historical evolution of inequality and poverty. These characteristics are not novelty to specialized research, but drawing them as stylized facts gives a comprehensive idea of the matter. Then the work builds simulations based on Mendonça & Paes de Barros’s methodology (1997). These simulations depict the impact of economic growth and inequality on poverty and agree with both empirical evidences from recent papers and results found by those authors. The exercise shows an inverse relation between growth and poverty, and a positive one between inequality and poverty. Finally, the paper criticizes the recent Brazilian research.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Revista Paranaense de Desenvolvimento 100 (2001): pp. 107-131|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rodrik, Dani & Alesina, Alberto, 1994.
"Distributive Politics and Economic Growth,"
4551798, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Dani Rodrik, 1994. "Distributive Politics and Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(2), pages 465-490.
- Oded Galor & Joseph Zeira, 2013.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
2013-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Francisco de Hollanda Guimarães Ferreira, 2000. "Os determinantes da desigualdade de renda no Brasil: Luta de classes ou heterogeneidade educacional?," Textos para discussão 415, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1994.
"Is Inequality Harmful for Growth?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 600-621, June.
- Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn, 1998. "New ways of looking at old issues: inequality and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 259-287.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:15570. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.