Asymmetric cointegration relationship between real exchange rate and trade variables: The case of Malaysia
The present study attempts to analyze the long-run equilibrium relationship between real exchange rate and trade balance, imports and exports demand by cointegration tests assuming asymmetric adjustment. Following Enders and Siklos (2001), the Engle-Granger two-step cointegration test is expanding to incorporate an asymmetric error correction term. It is found that there exists asymmetric cointegration between balance of trade and real exchange rate when momentum-threshold autoregressive (M-TAR) model is conducted and the study also found asymmetric cointegration between import volume and real exchange rate under threshold autoregressive (TAR) model. From estimation of M-TAR error-correction trade balance model, the adjustment back to equilibrium is more rapid following relative increase in trade balance (above long-run value) compared to relative decrease in trade balance (below long-run value). From TAR error-correction import demand model, the model suggests quick adjustment of import demand once it is below long-run value. The results reflect the evidence of persistence of trade balance deficit in the case of Malaysia which probably due to policies to defend an overvalued exchange rate by protectionist trade policies or capital controls. In addition, the shock of exchange rate on import demand is likely to be temporary in nature.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shu-Chen Chang, 2008. "Asymmetric cointegration relationship among Asian exchange rates," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 125-141, June.
- Balke, Nathan S. & Fomby, Thomas B., 1992.
9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2007. "Are Nominal Exchange Rates and Price Levels Co-Integrated? New Evidence from Threshold Autoregressive and Momentum-Threshold Autoregressive Models," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 83(260), pages 74-85, 03.
- Chen, Li-Hsueh & Finney, Miles & Lai, Kon S., 2005. "A threshold cointegration analysis of asymmetric price transmission from crude oil to gasoline prices," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 233-239, November.
- repec:eme:jespps:v:22:y:1995:i:6:p:16-25 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:14535. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.