Telecommunications Capital Intensity and Aggregate Production Efficiency: a Meta-Frontier Analysis
This study explores the link between telecommunications capital intensity and the aggregate production efficiency in the framework of meta-frontier analysis. The latter makes it possible to compare technical efficiency levels between countries operating under different technological frontiers. Our analysis suggests that increases in per capita levels of telecommunication capital will be most helpful in increasing the efficiency with which the existing technological knowledge and production resources are used, but not the technological frontier itself. We thus identify countries where additional investments in telecommunications are desirable as the ones where the technological lag is relatively small and efficient usage of productive resources is a problem. Africa appears to be the region where policies providing incentives for firms and households to purchase more telecommunications equipment will produce the most sizeable effect. In contrast, in the OECD countries where production practices are already the most efficient ones globally and the existing per capita telecommunications capital stock is high, further increases in the latter are not likely to result in any sizable production efficiency gains.
|Date of creation:||04 Jan 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Schreyer, 2000. "The Contribution of Information and Communication Technology to Output Growth: A Study of the G7 Countries," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2000/2, OECD Publishing.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- George Battese & D. Rao & Christopher O'Donnell, 2004. "A Metafrontier Production Function for Estimation of Technical Efficiencies and Technology Gaps for Firms Operating Under Different Technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 91-103, January.
- Marcello M. Estevão, 2004. "Why is Productivity Growth in the Euro Area so Sluggish?," IMF Working Papers 04/200, International Monetary Fund.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.