Stock Market in Pakistan: An Overview
This paper reviews the main features of the Stock market in Pakistan focussing on post-liberalization period. The aspects of the market investigated include liberalization of the market, integration the market with the world markets, trading and settlement mechanism, and corporate governance issues. Finally salient features of the market are compared to a selected set of emerging and developed markets. Pakistan’s stock market is smaller in size but is significantly more active than the markets of this size. In recent years the market has provided very high returns to investors. In 2002 the market was declared as the best performing stock market globally.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Siddiqi, Hammad, 2008. "Information Transmission in Emerging Markets: The Case of a Unique Financing Instrument," MPRA Paper 6714, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Harvey, Campbell R, 1995.
"Predictable Risk and Returns in Emerging Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(3), pages 773-816.
- Campbell R. Harvey, 1994. "Predictable Risk and Returns in Emerging Markets," NBER Working Papers 4621, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Korajczyk, Robert A, 1996. "A Measure of Stock Market Integration for Developed and Emerging Markets," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 267-289, May.
- Korajczyk, Robert A., 1995. "A measure of stock market integration for developed and emerging markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1482, The World Bank.
- Ajay Shah, 1995. "The impact of speculation upon volatility and market efficiency: The badla experience on the BSE," Finance 9507002, EconWPA.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Ash & Levine, Ross, 1996. "Stock Market Development and Financial Intermediaries: Stylized Facts," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 291-321, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1995. "Stock market development and financial intermediaries : stylized facts," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1462, The World Bank.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 1997. "Emerging equity market volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 29-77, January.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1995. "Emerging Equity Market Volatility," NBER Working Papers 5307, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 2002. "Research in emerging markets finance: looking to the future," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 429-448, December.
- Peter Blair Henry, 2000. "Stock Market Liberalization, Economic Reform, and Emerging Market Equity Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 529-564, 04.
- Venkat Eleswarapu & Chandrasekar Krishnamurti, 1995. "Do `speculative traders' increase Stock Price Volatility? Empirical evidence from the Bombay Stock Exchange," Finance 9507006, EconWPA.
- Ali F. Darrat, 2002. "Permanent and Transitory Driving Forces in the Asian-Pacific Stock Markets," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 37(1), pages 35-51, 02.
- Fazal Husain & Reza Saidi, 2000. "The integration of the Pakistani equity market with international equity markets: an investigation," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 207-218.
- Kim, E Han & Singal, Vijay, 2000. "Stock Market Openings: Experience of Emerging Economies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(1), pages 25-66, January.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell Harvey & Christian T. Lundblad, 2003. "Equity market liberalization in emerging markets," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 53-74.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian T. Lundblad, 2003. "Equity Market Liberalization in Emerging Markets," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 26(3), pages 275-299.
- Berkman, Henk & Eleswarapu, Venkat R., 1998. "Short-term traders and liquidity: a test using Bombay Stock Exchange data," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 339-355, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11868. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.