The Internal Market for Services of the European Union - Evidence from the OECD-Panel Data
The European Union service sector hampers many regulations by the Member States. For this reason, the European Commission issued a directive to reduce regulations and raise competition. We update the study from Kox, Lejourr and Montizaan (2005) with the latest changes of the directive on services o the internal market. Based on OECD-Panel data, we are able to develop a linear service trade model to investigate the economic benefit of such a directive. Our results show that the volume of service trade would decline with a between 2.6%-5.4%. This surprising outcome is contrary to previous results from Kox, Lejour and Montizaan (2005) or Breuss and Badinger (2005). We show that this is due to the latest modification in the service directive.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mayer, Thierry & Zignago, Soledad, 2006.
"Notes on CEPII’s distances measures,"
26469, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thierry Mayer & Soledad Zignago, 2011. "Notes on CEPII’s distances measures: The GeoDist database," Working Papers 2011-25, CEPII research center.
- Paul Conway & Véronique Janod & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2005. "Product Market Regulation in OECD Countries: 1998 to 2003," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 419, OECD Publishing.
- Henk Kox & Arjan Lejour & Raymond Montizaan, 2004. "The free movement of services within the EU," CPB Document 69, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Line Vogt, 2005. "The EU's Single Market: At Your Service?," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 449, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11441. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.