The Effect of Childhood Economic Deprivation on Physical and Psychological health Status
This paper investigates the effects of childhood deprivation on health at the later stages of the working age. The results indicate that there is an effect of childhood socioeconomic conditions on later adulthood overall health profile and second on the likelihood of suffering from a number of medical conditions. The risk of frail health is higher among adult respondents of the age between 50 to 65 who grew up in unfavourable socioeconomic circumstances, after controlling for their genetic risk traits, and their current educational and wealth status.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hertzman, Clyde & Power, Chris & Matthews, Sharon & Manor, Orly, 2001. "Using an interactive framework of society and lifecourse to explain self-rated health in early adulthood," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 53(12), pages 1575-1585, December.
- Mäkinen, Tomi & Laaksonen, Mikko & Lahelma, Eero & Rahkonen, Ossi, 2006. "Associations of childhood circumstances with physical and mental functioning in adulthood," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 62(8), pages 1831-1839, April.
- Amartya Sen, 1995.
"Mortality as an Indicator of Economic Success and Failure,"
innlec95/2, Innocenti Lectures.
- Sen, Amartya, 1998. "Mortality as an Indicator of Economic Success and Failure," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(446), pages 1-25, January.
- Theodossiou, I., 1998. "The effects of low-pay and unemployment on psychological well-being: A logistic regression approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 85-104, January.
- Adda, Jerome & Chandola, Tarani & Marmot, Michael, 2003. "Socio-economic status and health: causality and pathways," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 57-63, January.
- Raynard S. Kington & James P. Smith, 2004. "Socioeconomic Status and Racial and Ethnic Differences in Functional Status Associated with Chronic Diseases," HEW 0403002, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:10438. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.