Congestion costs in bottleneck equilibrium with stochastic capacity and demand
I analyse congestion costs in the Vickrey bottleneck model of a congestible facility with a peak load in demand. The shape of the peak is endogenous, being the sum of individual scheduling decisions. Capacity and demand are random, which introduces uncertainty into the individual scheduling choices. These are essential features of actual peak loads. Based on work by Arnott, de Palma and Lindsey, I derive the expected marginal and total congestion costs and compare to the case with fixed capacity and demand. Using stylised values for scheduling costs relative to the value of time, I find that randomness of capacity and demand increases congestions cost by up to 50 percent relative to the deterministic case. The bound is general for any distribution of random capacity and demand.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arnott, Richard & de Palma, Andre & Lindsey, Robin, 1993. "A Structural Model of Peak-Period Congestion: A Traffic Bottleneck with Elastic Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 161-79, March.
- Daniel, Joseph I, 1995. "Congestion Pricing and Capacity of Large Hub Airports: A Bottleneck Model with Stochastic Queues," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(2), pages 327-70, March.
- Fosgerau, Mogens & Karlström, Anders, 2007.
"The value of reliability,"
5733, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anas, Alex & Rhee, Hyok-Joo, 2007. "When are urban growth boundaries not second-best policies to congestion tolls?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 263-286, March.
- Small, Kenneth A, 1982. "The Scheduling of Consumer Activities: Work Trips," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 467-79, June.
- R. Arnott & A. de Palma & R. Lindsey, 1997.
"Information and time-of-usage decisions in the bottleneck model with stochastic capacity and demand,"
THEMA Working Papers
97-13, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Arnott, Richard & de Palma, Andre & Lindsey, Robin, 1999. "Information and time-of-usage decisions in the bottleneck model with stochastic capacity and demand," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 525-548, March.
- Richard Arnott & Andre de Palma & Robin Lindsey, 1996. "Information and Time-of-Usage Decisions in the Bottleneck Model with Stochastic Capacity and Demand," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 355., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Vickrey, William S, 1969. "Congestion Theory and Transport Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 251-60, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:10040. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.