Additive measures of travel time variability
This paper derives a measure of travel time variability for travellers equipped with scheduling preferences defined in terms of time-varying utility rates, and who choose departure time optimally. The corresponding value of travel time variability is a constant that depends only on preference parameters. The measure is unique in being additive with respect to independent parts of a trip. It has the variance of travel time as a special case. Extension is provided to the case of travellers who use a scheduled service with fixed headway.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fosgerau, Mogens & Karlström, Anders, 2007.
"The value of reliability,"
5733, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arnott, Richard & de Palma, Andre & Lindsey, Robin, 1993. "A Structural Model of Peak-Period Congestion: A Traffic Bottleneck with Elastic Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 161-79, March.
- Vickrey, William S, 1969. "Congestion Theory and Transport Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 251-60, May.
- Yin-yen Tseng & Erik Verhoef, 2007.
"Value of Time by Time of Day: A Stated-Preference Study,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
07-061/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 08 Nov 2007.
- Tseng, Yin-Yen & Verhoef, Erik T., 2008. "Value of time by time of day: A stated-preference study," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 42(7-8), pages 607-618, August.
- Small, Kenneth A, 1982. "The Scheduling of Consumer Activities: Work Trips," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 467-79, June.
- van Lint, J.W.C. & van Zuylen, Henk J. & Tu, H., 2008. "Travel time unreliability on freeways: Why measures based on variance tell only half the story," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 258-277, January.
- Fosgerau, Mogens & Fukuda, Daisuke, 2010. "Valuing travel time variability: Characteristics of the travel time distribution on an urban road," MPRA Paper 24330, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fosgerau, Mogens & Engelson, Leonid, 2011.
"The value of travel time variance,"
Transportation Research Part B: Methodological,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 1-8, January.
- de Palma, André & Picard, Nathalie, 2005. "Route choice decision under travel time uncertainty," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 295-324, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42262. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.