Child rearing subsidies and fertility in small open economies with life uncertainty
We examine how subsidy policies to support child-rearing affect the fertility rate in a standard OLG small open economy with life uncertainty and involuntary bequests. It is shown the counter-intuitive result that increasing the child grant may actually reduce the long-run fertility rate.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 050 22 16 466
Fax: +39 050 22 16 384
Web page: http://www.ec.unipi.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Akira Yakita, 2001. "Uncertain lifetime, fertility and social security," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 635-640.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Laurence J. Kotlikoff & David N. Weil, 1992.
"The Increasing Annuitization of the Elderly- Estimates and Implications for Intergenerational Tranfers, Inequality, and National Saving,"
NBER Working Papers
4182, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Auerbach, A.J. & Kotlikoff, L.J. & Weil, D.N., 1992. "The Increasing Annuitization of the Elderly - Estimates and Implications for Intergenerational Transfers, Inequality and National Saving," Papers 6, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Galor, Oded & Weil, David N, 1996.
"The Gender Gap, Fertility, and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 374-87, June.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:10:y:2007:i:20:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zamac, Jovan, 2007. "Pension design when fertility fluctuates: The role of education and capital mobility," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(3-4), pages 619-639, April.
- van Groezen, Bas & Leers, Theo & Meijdam, Lex, 2003. "Social security and endogenous fertility: pensions and child allowances as siamese twins," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 233-251, February.
- Axel Borsch-Supan, 1993. "Aging in Germany and the United States: International Comparisons," NBER Working Papers 4530, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhang, Junsen & Zhang, Jie & Lee, Ronald, 2001. "Mortality decline and long-run economic growth," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 485-507, June.
- Luca Gori & Luciano Fanti, 2007. "Labour income taxation, child rearing policies and fertility," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 10(20), pages 1-10.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pie:dsedps:2012/148. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.