Market Power and Industrial Performance in Pakistan
Using a panel of eight Pakistani manufacturing industries, we have examined the changes in price-cost margin (gross profitability) during 1998- 2009. In this study the traditional industrial organization approach of Structure- Performance has been applied to analyse the effects of concentration and import intensity on price-cost margins. It has been found that market concentration measured by four-firm concentration leads to high price-cost margin. Imports have the tendency to make the domestic firms more competitive, but their effect on more-concentrated firms is smaller as compared to non-concentrated firms. The minimum efficient scale and assets of industry have positive effects on margins while capital intensity has been found to reduce gross profitability.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 1091, Islamabad-44000|
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Domenico Marchetti, 2002. "Markups and the Business Cycle: Evidence from Italian Manufacturing Branches," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 87-103, January.
- Holger Görg & Frederic Warzynski, 2003.
"Price Cost Margins and Exporting Behaviour: Evidence from Firm Level Data,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
365, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Holger Gæ””g & Frederic Warzynski, 2003. "Price cost margins and exporting behaviour: Evidence from firm level data," LICOS Discussion Papers 13303, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2006.
"Heteroskedasticity-Robust Standard Errors for Fixed Effects Panel Data Regression,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0323, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2008. "Heteroskedasticity-Robust Standard Errors for Fixed Effects Panel Data Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(1), pages 155-174, 01.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Garth Saloner, 1984.
"A Supergame-Theoretic Model of Business Cycles and Price Wars During Booms,"
349, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Garth Saloner, 1984. "A Supergame-Theoretic Model of Business Cycles and Price Wars During Booms," NBER Working Papers 1412, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hart, P E & Morgan, Eleanor J, 1977. "Market Structure and Economic Performance in the United Kingdom," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(3), pages 177-93, March.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1985.
"Do Markets Differ Much?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 341-51, June.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Susan Athey & Kyle Bagwell & Chris Sanchirico, 1998.
"Collusion and Price Rigidity,"
98-23, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Ali Culha & Cihan Yalcin, 2005. "The Determinants of the Price-Cost Margins of the Manufacturing Firms in Turkey," Working Papers 0515, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015.
"Specification tests in econometrics,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Levinsohn, J., 1991.
"Testing the Imports-As-Market-Discipline Hypothesis,"
272, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Levinsohn, James, 1993. "Testing the imports-as-market-discipline hypothesis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1-2), pages 1-22, August.
- James Levinsohn, 1991. "Testing the Imports-as-Market-Discipline Hypothesis," NBER Working Papers 3657, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caves, Richard E., 1985. "International trade and industrial organization: Problems, solved and unsolved," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 377-395, August.
- Evren Ceritoglu, 2002. "The Cyclicality Of Mark-Up Ratios : The Case Of Turkish Industry," Working Papers 0204, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Collins, Norman R & Preston, Lee E, 1969. "Price-Cost Margins and Industry Structure," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(3), pages 271-86, August.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1989.
"Inter-industry studies of structure and performance,"
Handbook of Industrial Organization,
in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 951-1009
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1987. "Inter-industry studies of structure and performance," Working papers 1874-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Porter, Michael E, 1979. "The Structure within Industries and Companies' Performance," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 61(2), pages 214-27, May.
- Miller, Richard A, 1969. "Market Structure and Industrial Performance: Relation of Profit Rates to Concentration, Advertising Intensity, and Diversity," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(2), pages 104-18, April.
- Amjad,Rashid, 2008. "Private Industrial Investment in Pakistan," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521053617, june. pag.
- Barua, Alokesh & Chakraborty, Debashis & Hariprasad, C. G., 2010. "Entry, Competitiveness and Exports: Evidence from Firm Level Data of Indian Manufacturing," MPRA Paper 22738, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Geroski, P. A., 1982. "Simultaneous equations models of the structure-performance paradigm," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 145-158.
- Simon Feeny, 2000. "Determinants of Profitability: An Empirical Investigation Using Australian Tax Entities," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2000n01, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Amjad, Rashid, 1977. "Profitability and industrial concentration in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 35085, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Urata, Shujiro, 1984. "Price-cost margins and imports in an oligopolistic market," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 139-144.
- Pugel, Thomas A, 1980. "Foreign Trade and US Market Performance," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 119-29, December.
- Green, Edward J & Porter, Robert H, 1984.
"Noncooperative Collusion under Imperfect Price Information,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 87-100, January.
- Edward J Green & Robert H Porter, 1997. "Noncooperative Collusion Under Imperfect Price Information," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1147, David K. Levine.
- Green, Edward J. & Porter, Robert H., 1982. "Noncooperative Collusion Under Imperfect Price Information," Working Papers 367, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- repec:fth:michin:272 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marvel, Howard P, 1980. "Foreign Trade and Domestic Competition," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(1), pages 103-22, January.
- Neumann, Manfred & Bobel, Ingo & Haid, Alfred, 1985. "Domestic concentration, foreign trade and economic performance," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Ian Domowitz & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1986. "Business Cycles and the Relationship Between Concentration and Price-Cost Margins," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 1-17, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:wpaper:2013:88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.