The Determinants of the Price-Cost Margins of the Manufacturing Firms in Turkey
This study examines the determinants of the price-cost margins in the Turkish manufacturing industry spanning from 1995 to 2003. The literature on this subject points to the importance of market structure, business cycles and input costs. Utilizing panel data econometric techniques on a large number of manufacturing firms by conditioning on their firm size, age, ownership and export orientation, the study finds that there exists a marked difference among the firms’ pricing behaviors according to their market share. Import penetration seems to be ineffective to reduce the price-cost margins of large, high market share and foreign partner firms, while exporting activity was observed to act as a factor to enhance competition. The analysis also suggests that price-cost margins behave pro-cyclically in general and an appreciation of the domestic currency reduces price-cost margins by way of lowering input costs.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Head Office, Istiklal Cad. 10 Ulus, 06100 Ankara|
Phone: (90 312) 507 5000
Fax: (90 312) 507 5640
Web page: http://www.tcmb.gov.tr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cihan Yalcin, 2000. "Price-Cost Margins and Trade Liberalization in Turkish Manufacturing Industry : A Panel Data Analysis," Discussion Papers 0001, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Erin Yeldan & Ebru Voyvoda, 1999.
"Patterns of Productivity Growth and the Wage Cycle in Turkish Manufacturing,"
9911, Department of Economics, Bilkent University.
- Ebru Voyvoda & A. Erinc Yeldan, 2001. "Patterns of Productivity Growth and the Wage Cycle in Turkish Manufacturing," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 375-396.
- Caves, Richard E., 1985. "International trade and industrial organization: Problems, solved and unsolved," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 377-395, August.
- Foroutan, Faezeh, 1991. "Foreign trade and its relation to competition and productivity in Turkish industry," Policy Research Working Paper Series 604, The World Bank.
- Steven A. Sharpe, 1993.
"Financial market imperfections, firm leverage and the cyclicality of employment,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
93-10, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sharpe, Steven A, 1994. "Financial Market Imperfections, Firm Leverage, and the Cyclicality of Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 1060-1074, September.
- Mary Hallward-Driemeier & Giuseppe Iarossi & Kenneth L. Sokoloff, 2002. "Exports and Manufacturing Productivity in East Asia: A Comparative Analysis with Firm-Level Data," NBER Working Papers 8894, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. A. Hausman & W. E. Taylor, 1980.
"Panel Data and Unobservable Individual Effects,"
255, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Taylor, William E., 1981. "Panel data and unobservable individual effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 155-155, May.
- Hausman, Jerry A & Taylor, William E, 1981. "Panel Data and Unobservable Individual Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1377-1398, November.
- Richard Cantor, 1990. "Effects of leverage on corporate investment and hiring decisions," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sum, pages 31-41.
- Evren Ceritoglu, 2002. "The Cyclicality Of Mark-Up Ratios : The Case Of Turkish Industry," Working Papers 0204, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Jacquemin, Alexis, 1982. "Imperfect Market Structure and International Trade-Some Recent Research," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(1), pages 75-93.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcb:wpaper:0515. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ozlem Ekmekciler Ramalho Rocha)or (Ilker Cakar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.