Integrating Gender Perspectives in Evaluating the Efficiency of COFI: The Case of Credit Cooperatives in the Philippines
This paper first examines the extent of cost and profit inefficiencies of the Philippine credit cooperative system using stochastic frontier analysis (SFA). Then, it looks into the effects of certain variables on the cost and profit efficiencies of credit cooperatives. Three groups of correlates of inefficiency were used: market characteristics, agency costs and gender governance. Results suggest that market conditions can explain to a certain extent the differences in the efficiency among credit cooperatives. However, the correlates of agency costs do not have a clear-cut effect on the efficiency of credit cooperatives. What is more significant though in this study is the effect on efficiency of women participation in the governance of credit cooperatives. The correlates of gender governance indicate that empowering women not only through enhancing their access to credit but also through increasing their participation in shaping policies can improve the efficiency of credit cooperatives. Results seem to suggest that credit cooperatives that are managed predominantly by women would likely pursue greater cost efficiency than profit efficiency.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NEDA sa Makati Building, 106 Amorsolo St., Legaspi Village, Makati City,|
Web page: https://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berger, Allen N. & DeYoung, Robert, 1997.
"Problem loans and cost efficiency in commercial banks,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 849-870, June.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 1995. "Problem Loans and Cost Efficiency in Commercial Banks," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 1997. "Problem loans and cost efficiency in commercial banks," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-8, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lamberte, Mario B., 1995. "Credit Unions as Channels of Micro-Credit Lines: The Philippine Case," Discussion Papers DP 1995-25, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Lamberte, Mario B., 1998. "Credit Unions as Channels of Micro-Credit Lines: The Philippine Case," Research Paper Series RPS 1998-01, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Akella, Srinivas R. & Greenbaum, Stuart I., 1988. "Savings and loan ownership structure and expense-preference," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 419-437, September.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Schmidt, Peter & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1979. "Estimating technical and allocative inefficiency relative to stochastic production and cost frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 343-366, February.
- Altunbas, Yener & Evans, Lynne & Molyneux, Philip, 2001. "Bank Ownership and Efficiency," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 926-954, November.
- Mark M. Pitt & Shahidur R. Khandker, 1998. "The Impact of Group-Based Credit Programs on Poor Households in Bangladesh: Does the Gender of Participants Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 958-996, October.
- Vander Vennet, Rudi, 2002. "Cost and Profit Efficiency of Financial Conglomerates and Universal Banks in Europe," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 254-282, February.
- Hossain, Mahabub & Diaz, Catalina P., 1997. "Reaching the Poor with Effective Microcredit: Evaluation of a Grameen Bank Replication in the Philippines," Philippine Journal of Development JPD 1997 Vol. XXIV No.2-d, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Lamberte, Mario B. & Graham, Douglas H. & Relampagos, Julius P., 1990. "Credit Unions: An Underrated Mode of Mobilizing and Allocating Resources in Rural Areas," Working Papers WP 1990-21, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Richard S. Barr & Kory A. Killgo & Thomas F. Siems & Sheri Zimmel, 1999. "Evaluating the productive efficiency and performance of U.S. commercial banks," Financial Industry Studies Working Paper 99-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Llanto, Gilberto M., 1994. "The Financial Structure and Performance of Philippine Credit Cooperatives," Discussion Papers DP 1994-04, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Lamberte, Mario B. & Graham, Douglas H. & Relampagos, Julius P., 1990. "A Study of the Operations and Performance of Selected Cooperative Credit Unions," Working Papers WP 1990-23, Philippine Institute for Development Studies. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:dpaper:dp_2003-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.