Deregulation of Bank Entry and Branching: Impact on Competition
This paper looks at public policy towards bank entry and branching in the Philippines and its impact on the sector’s structure, conduct and performance. In particular, it argues that regulatory restrictions on bank entry and branching have had adverse effects on competition, while the liberalization of these restrictions have led to a more competitive banking sector. The paper has two main sections. Section II presents the history of regulation of bank entry and branching in the Philippines. The impact of these regulations on the banking sector is then briefly discussed in Section III by looking at some indicators of changes in financial structure, measures of concentration and operational efficiency. Section IV then presents some policy implications.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NEDA sa Makati Building, 106 Amorsolo St., Legaspi Village, Makati City,|
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1900, The World Bank.
- Saunders, Anthony & Schumacher, Liliana, 2000. "The determinants of bank interest rate margins: an international study," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 813-832, December.
- Lamberte, Mario B., 1989. "Assessment of the Problems of the Financial System: The Philippine Case," Working Papers WP 1989-18, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Multiproduct Firms, Product Differentiation, and Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)