Achievable Outcomes of Dynamic Contribution Games, Second Version
This paper concerns multistage games, with and without discounting, in which each player can increase the level of an action over time so as to increase the other players’ future payoffs. An action profile is achievable if it is the limit point of a subgame perfect equilibrium path. Necessary conditions are derived for achievability under relatively general conditions. They imply that any efficient profile that is approximately achievable must be in the core of the underlying coalitional game. In some but not all games with discounting, the necessary conditions for achievability are also sufficient for a profile to be the limit of achievable profiles as the period length shrinks to zero. Consequently, in these games when the period length is very short, (i) the set of achievable profiles does not depend on the move structure; (ii) an efficient profile can be approximately achieved if and only if it is in the core; and (iii) any achievable profile can be achieved almost instantly.
|Date of creation:||31 Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:||20 Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104|
Web page: http://economics.sas.upenn.edu/pier
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gale, Douglas, 1995.
"Dynamic Coordination Games,"
Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Ochs, Jack & Park, In-Uck, 2004.
"Overcoming the Coordination Problem: Dynamic Formation of Networks,"
CEI Working Paper Series
2004-18, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ochs, Jack & Park, In-Uck, 2010. "Overcoming the coordination problem: Dynamic formation of networks," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(2), pages 689-720, March.
- Jack Ochs & In-Uck Park, 2005. "Overcoming the Coordination Problem: Dynamic Formation of Networks," Levine's Bibliography 172782000000000046, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Compte, Olivier & Jehiel, Philippe, 2003. "Voluntary contributions to a joint project with asymmetric agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 334-342, October.
- Che,Y.-K. & Sakovics,J., 2001.
"A dynamic theory of holdup,"
25, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- repec:oup:restud:v:56:y:1989:i:4:p:583-601 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fershtman, Chaim & Nitzan, Shmuel, 1991.
"Dynamic voluntary provision of public goods,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1057-1067, July.
- Huseyin Yildirim, 2006. "Getting the Ball Rolling: Voluntary Contributions to a Large-Scale Public Project," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 8(4), pages 503-528, October.
- repec:oup:restud:v:58:y:1991:i:2:p:259-76 is not listed on IDEAS
- Choi, Syngjoo & Gale, Douglas & Kariv, Shachar, 2008.
"Sequential equilibrium in monotone games: A theory-based analysis of experimental data,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 302-330, November.
- Syngjoo Choi & Douglas Gale & Shachar Kariv, 2006. "Sequential Equilibrium in Monotone Games: Theory-Based Analysis of Experimental Data," Levine's Bibliography 784828000000000278, UCLA Department of Economics.
- repec:oup:restud:v:67:y:2000:i:2:p:327-58 is not listed on IDEAS
- Foley, Duncan K, 1970.
"Lindahl's Solution and the Core of an Economy with Public Goods,"
Econometric Society, vol. 38(1), pages 66-72, January.
- D. K. Foley, 1967. "Lindahl's Solution and the Core of an Economy with Public Goods," Working papers 3, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- repec:oup:restud:v:69:y:2002:i:2:p:339-56 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lise Vesterlund & John Duffy & Jack Ochs, 2004.
"Giving Little by Little: Dynamic Voluntary Contribution Games,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
402, Econometric Society.
- Duffy, John & Ochs, Jack & Vesterlund, Lise, 2007. "Giving little by little: Dynamic voluntary contribution games," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(9), pages 1708-1730, September.
- Marco Battaglini & Salvatore Nunnari & Thomas R. Palfrey, 2010. "Political Institutions and the Dynamics of Public Investment," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 142, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Pitchford, Rohan & Snyder, Christopher M., 2004. "A solution to the hold-up problem involving gradual investment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 88-103, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pen:papers:11-016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dolly Guarini)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.