The Spatial Distribution of Calorie Deficiency in Rural India in the Last Three Quinquennial Rounds of NSS
This paper computes calorie deficiency indicators across 75 NSS regions for the quinquennial rounds of 1987-88, 1993-94 and 1999-2000. Calorie requirements according to sedentary, moderate and heavy levels of work are used. There appears to be a sharp drop in the incidence of calorie deficiency according to each of these norms. However, regional inequality in calorie deficiency has persisted over time. The economic reforms program has been unable to make any significant dent on the spatial distribution of caloriedeficiency. The results presented here facilitate easy identification of lagging areas on which nutrition enhancement policy must concentrate.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/asarc/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raghbendra Jha & Raghav Gaiha, 2003.
"Determinants of Undernutrition in Rural India,"
ASARC Working Papers
2003-01, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1990. "Income Effects on Undernutrition," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(3), pages 489-515, April.
- Behrman, Jere R & Deolalikar, Anil B, 1987. "Will Developing Country Nutrition Improve with Income? A Case Study for Rural South India," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 492-507, June.
- David E. Sahn & David C. Stifel, 2002. "Robust Comparisons of Malnutrition in Developing Countries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 716-735.
- Raghbendra Jha & Anurag Sharma, 2003. "The Spatial Distribution of Rural Poverty in the Last Three Quinquennial Rounds of NSS," ASARC Working Papers 2003-02, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:asarcc:2003-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Hancock)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.