Agglomeration economies: new evidence on IT employment growth in Italy
This paper uses Local Labour Market Areas (LLMA) data to investigate the dynamics of employment in the Information Technology (IT) sector in Italy 2001-2005. Adopting the framework suggested by Glaeser et al. (1992) and Combes (2000), the aim is to test if agglomeration forces might significantly affect IT local growth. The basic OLS results are broadly consistent with those of earlier studies. In particular, IT employment growth is enhanced by industrial diversity (Jacobs externalities) and by plant size (economies of scale). At the same time, LLMAs with higher IT concentration are associated with lower employment growth rates. As a robustness check, quantile regression analysis is performed. This additional set of results reaveals that the role of agglomeration forces is different across IT growth levels.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://economia.unipr.it/de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glaeser, Edward L & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1992.
"Growth in Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1126-52, December.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Kallal, Hedi D. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Shleifer, Andrei, 1992. "Growth in Cities," Scholarly Articles 3451309, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1991. "Growth in Cities," NBER Working Papers 3787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giacinto Micucci & Valter di Giacinto, 2009.
"The Producer Service Sector in Italy: Long-term Growth and its Local Determinants,"
Spatial Economic Analysis,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(4), pages 391-425.
- Valter Di Giacinto & Giacinto Micucci, 2007. "The producer service sector in Italy: Long-term growth and its local determinants," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 643, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001.
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Lucia Piscitello & Cristina Rossi, 2007.
"Explaining the Territorial Adoption of New Technologies: A Spatial Econometric Approach,"
in: Applied Evolutionary Economics and Economic Geography, chapter 12
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Lucia Piscitello & Cristina Rossi, 2005. "Explaining The Territorial Adoption Of New Technologies - A Spatial Econometric Approach," ERSA conference papers ersa05p92, European Regional Science Association.
- Henderson, Vernon & Kuncoro, Ari & Turner, Matt, 1995.
"Industrial Development in Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(5), pages 1067-90, October.
- Federico Cingano & Fabiano Schivardi, 2003.
"Identifying the Sources of Local Productivity Growth,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
474, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Federico Cingano & Fabiano Schivardi, 2004. "Identifying the Sources of Local Productivity Growth," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(4), pages 720-742, 06.
- Beaudry, Catherine & Schiffauerova, Andrea, 2009. "Who's right, Marshall or Jacobs? The localization versus urbanization debate," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 318-337, March.
- Francesca Mameli & Alessandra Faggian & Philip McCann, 2008. "Employment Growth in Italian Local Labour Systems: Issues of Model Specification and Sectoral Aggregation," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(3), pages 343-360.
- Fabio Sforzi & Andrea Lasagni, 2008. "Le determinanti dello sviluppo locale di attività ICT in Italia," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2008(1), pages 155-167.
- Mario Forni & Sergio Paba, 2000. "The Sources of Local Growth: Evidence from Italy," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 59(1), pages 1-49, April.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe, 2000. "Economic Structure and Local Growth: France, 1984-1993," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 329-355, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:par:dipeco:2009-ep08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrea Lasagni)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.