Optimal Oil Extraction as a multiple Real Option
We study optimal oil extraction strategy and the value of an oil field using a multiple real option appraoch. Extracting a barrel of oil is similar to exercising a call option and optimal strategies lead to deferring production when oil prices are low and when volatility is high. We sow that, in theory, the net present alue ofa country's oil reserves is increased significantly (by 100 percent, in the most extreme case) if production decisions are made conditional on oil prices. We also show that the marginal value ofaditional capacity is higher for countries with bigger resources and longer production horizons. We apply the model to Brazil and the U>A>E> in order to pin down two points of the global supply curve.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.oxcarre.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. C. G. Rogers, 2002. "Monte Carlo valuation of American options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 271-286.
- Olivier Aj Bardou & Sandrine Bouthemy & Gilles Pag\`es, 2007. "Optimal quantization for the pricing of swing options," Papers 0705.2110, arXiv.org.
- Davis, Graham A., 1996. "Real options: Managerial flexibility and strategy in resource allocation : Lenos Trigeorgis The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1996, xiii + 427 pp. (hardcover), ISBN 0-262-20102-X," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 218-220, September.
- Octavio A. F. Tourinho., 1979. "The Option Value of Reserves of Natural Resources," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 94, University of California at Berkeley.
- Noureddine Krichene, 2005. "A Simultaneous Equation Model for World Crude Oil and Natural Gas Markets," IMF Working Papers 05/32, International Monetary Fund.
- Paddock, James L & Siegel, Daniel R & Smith, James L, 1988. "Option Valuation of Claims on Real Assets: The Case of Offshore Petroleum Leases," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(3), pages 479-508, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oxf:oxcrwp:064. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Celia Kingham)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.