Capacity Expansion in Markets with Intertemporal Consumption Externalities
This paper analyzes market capacity expansion in the presence of intertemporal consumption externalities such as consumer learning, networks, or bandwagon effects. The externality leads to an endogenous shift of market demand that responds to past market capacity. Whereas market capacity grows in waves, its magnitude depends on the degree of market concentration. The competitive environment contributes to S-shaped time patterns of market capacity expansion that is slow from the social viewpoint. On the other hand, using an introductory price, a monopolist plans an initially larger, but eventually smaller, amount of market cultivation than a competitive market capacity expansion.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www2.econ.osaka-u.ac.jp/library/global/e_HP/e_g_shiryo.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carl Shapiro, 1983. "Optimal Pricing of Experience Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 497-507, Autumn.
- Becker, Gary S, 1991.
"A Note on Restaurant Pricing and Other Examples of Social Influences on Price,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 1109-1116, October.
- Gary S. Becker, 1991. "A Note on Restaurant Pricing and Other Examples of Social Influences on Price," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 67, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Toker Doganoglu, 2003. "Dynamic Price Competition with Consumption Externalities," Netnomics, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 43-69, May.
- Vettas, Nikolaos, 2000. "Investment Dynamics in Markets with Endogenous Demand," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(2), pages 189-203, June.
- Vettas, N., 1996. "Investment Dynamics in Markets with Endogenous Demand," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 344.96, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Vettas, Nikolaos, 1999. "Investment Dynamics in Markets with Endogenous Demand," Working Papers 99-05, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Vettas, Nikolaos, 1998. "Investment Dynamics in Markets with Endogenous Demand," CEPR Discussion Papers 1994, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard E. Caves, 1998. "Industrial Organization and New Findings on the Turnover and Mobility of Firms," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 1947-1982, December.
- Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Entry, Exit, Growth, and Innovation over the Product Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 562-583, June.
- Cabral, Luis M. B. & Salant, David J. & Woroch, Glenn A., 1999. "Monopoly pricing with network externalities," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 199-214, February.
- Luis Cabral & David Salant & Glenn Woroch, 1994. "Monopoly Pricing With Network Externalities," Industrial Organization 9411003, EconWPA.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee, 1992. "A Simple Model of Herd Behavior," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(3), pages 797-817.
- Jeffrey Rohlfs, 1974. "A Theory of Interdependent Demand for a Communications Service," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 5(1), pages 16-37, Spring.
- McFadden, Daniel L & Train, Kenneth E, 1996. "Consumers' Evaluation of New Products: Learning from Self and Others," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 683-703, August.
- Trichy V. Krishnan & Frank M. Bass & Dipak C. Jain, 1999. "Optimal Pricing Strategy for New Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(12), pages 1650-1663, December.
- Rafael Rob, 1991. "Learning and Capacity Expansion under Demand Uncertainty," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(4), pages 655-675.
- Boyan Jovanovic, 1998. "Michael Gort's Contribution to Economics," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 1(2), pages 327-337, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:osk:wpaper:0711. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Atsuko SUZUKI)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.