Export Processing Zones and Environmental Policy
This paper investigates the relation between an export processing zone and a pollution quota in a small country. The model suppose that the pollution target is implemented with a marketable permit system, and the government sets the quota to maximize domestic welfare. Then we show that, if an increase in real income reduces marginal external damage, the pollution quota is relieved by the formation of an export processing zone. However, if the marginal damage is augmented with an increase in the income, the optimal quota might be strengthened by the formation of the zone.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.osaka-u.ac.jp/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Copeland, Brian R & Taylor, M Scott, 1995. "Trade and Transboundary Pollution," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(4), pages 716-37, September.
- Copeland Brian R., 1994. "International Trade and the Environment: Policy Reform in a Polluted Small Open Economy," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 44-65, January.
- Brian R. Copeland & M. Scott Taylor, 2003.
"Trade, Growth and the Environment,"
NBER Working Papers
9823, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Madani, Dorsati, 1999. "A review of the role and impact of export processing zones," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2238, The World Bank.
- Beladi, Hamid & Chao, Chi-Chur & Frasca, Ralph, 1999. "Foreign investment and environmental regulations in LDCs," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 191-199, May.
- Din, Musleh-ud, 1994. "Export processing zones and backward linkages," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 369-385, April.
- Devereux, John & Chen, Lein Lein, 1995. "Export Zones and Welfare: Another Look," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 704-13, October.
- Miyagiwa, Kaz F., 1986. "A reconsideration of the welfare economics of a free-trade zone," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3-4), pages 337-350, November.
- Hamada, Koichi, 1974. "An economic analysis of the duty-free zone," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 225-241, August.
- Albert G. Schweinberger, 2003. "Special economic zones and quotas on imported intermediate goods: a policy proposal," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(4), pages 696-715, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:osk:wpaper:0622. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Atsuko SUZUKI)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.