International Trade Agreements and the Peruvian Electricity Sector
International trade agreements are reshaping the economic context of the world by allowing freer flow of investments, goods and services. Energy and electricity products have this particular characteristic of ranging over both good and service classifications. How is electricity in particular treated within these trade agreements, which clearly distinguish between good and service sectors? How can the electricity sector be affected by new agreements? We answer these questions and analyze the Peruvian electricity sector, which has recently been reformed, but whose regulation might still contains some inconsistencies with principles of international trade agreements, specifically the Free Trade Agreements of the Americas (FTAA). We start in section 2 by setting the international trade context of Peru and then study in section 3 how electricity is considered in the FTAA and other international trade agreements, the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS) and North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). The Peruvian electricity sector is presented in section 4, to allow the analysis on the probable consequences of the FTAA on the electricity sector to be made in section 5.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (511) 219-3400 ext 1057.
Web page: http://www.osinergmin.gob.pe/newweb/pages/Estudios_Economicos/77.htm?9858
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MÃ¡ximo Torero & Alberto PascÃ³-Font, 2003.
"The social impact of privatization and the regulation of utilities in Peru,"
in: Utility Privatization and Regulation, chapter 11
- Torero, Maximo & Pasco-Font, Alberto, 2001. "The Social Impact of Privatization and the Regulation of Utilities in Peru," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Plourde, A., 1990. "Canada'S International Obligations In Energy And The Free- Trade Aggeement," Working Papers 9002, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Gonzalo Tamayo & Roxana Barrantes & José Távara & Verónica Zavala, 2000. "Determinantes de los arreglos contractuales en la participación privada en infraestructura: El caso Peruano," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 7610, Inter-American Development Bank.
- del Sol, Patricio, 2002. "Responses to electricity liberalization: the regional strategy of a Chilean generator," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 437-446, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ose:wpaper:13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raul Garcia)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.