Determinants of New Zealand bond yields
This paper examines the driving factors of New Zealand bond yields over the 1988-1997 period. The results indicate that: . the general analytical framework implied by the Uncovered Interest Parity (UIP) relation finds some support in the data. . in the long run, short term real bond yields are related to US real bond yields, currency expectations and expectations of the future stance of domestic monetary policy vis a vis the stance offshore. . long-term real bond yields are related to Australian real bond yields, currency expectations, inflation uncertainty and relative monetary policy expectations. . in recent years, domestic bond yields have been more closely related to offshore yields suggesting increased integration between the domestic and international capital markets. . increased perceptions of political risk appears to have played an important role in the rise in domestic long bond yields during the first half of 1996.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 2498, Wellington|
Phone: 64 4 471-3767
Fax: 64 4 471-2270
Web page: http://www.rbnz.govt.nz
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Ford & Douglas Laxton, 1995.
"World Public Debt and Real Interest Rates,"
IMF Working Papers
95/30, International Monetary Fund.
- Barro, R.J. & Martin, X.S., 1990.
"World Real Interest Rates,"
RCER Working Papers
227, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1986.
"Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models,"
NBER Working Papers
1885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John & Shiller, Robert, 1987. "Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models," Scholarly Articles 3122490, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1986. "Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 785, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Howard Howe & Charles Pigott, 1991. "Determinants of long-term interest rates: an empirical study of several industrial countries," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Win, pages 12-28.
- William Lee & Eswar S Prasad, 1994. "Changes in the Relationship Between the Long-Term Interest Rate and its Determinants," IMF Working Papers 94/124, International Monetary Fund.
- Wright, S., 1995. "Forecasting the Bond Market," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9515, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Adrian Orr & Malcolm Edey & Michael Kennedy, 1995. "The Determinants of Real Long-Term Interest Rates: 17 Country Pooled-Time-Series Evidence," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 155, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nzb:nzbdps:1998/01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reserve Bank of New Zealand Knowledge Centre)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.