Monopolistic Competition and Preference Diversity
This paper presents a general model of the demand for differentiated products which has as special cases two popular models used to analyze welfare and competition in monopolistically competitive markets: the model of spatial competition and the symmetric aggregate benefit function approach. The authors model is especially attractive because it starts from economic primitives: a specification of the set of possible individual preference patterns. It shows how specific properties of the distribution of preferences translate into properties of aggregate demand. This allows the authors to understand the relationship between the distribution of preferences and the degree to which the market introduces biases in product selection. Copyright 1992 by The Review of Economic Studies Limited.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Feb 1986|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/research/math/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:bla:restud:v:43:y:1976:i:2:p:217-35 is not listed on IDEAS
- Judd, Kenneth L, 1985. "On the Performance of Patents," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(3), pages 567-85, May.
- Venables, Anthony J., 1982. "Optimal tariffs for trade in monopolistically competitive commodities," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 225-241, May.
- repec:bla:restud:v:51:y:1984:i:2:p:321-32 is not listed on IDEAS
- Feenstra, Robert C & Judd, Kenneth L, 1982. "Tariffs, Technology Transfer, and Welfare," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1142-65, December.
- repec:bla:restud:v:52:y:1985:i:1:p:107-20 is not listed on IDEAS
- Perloff, Jeffrey M & Salop, Steven, 1984.
"Equilibrium with product differentiation,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt4cq0m6s3, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nwu:cmsems:684. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fran Walker)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.