Too Good to be True? The (In)credibility of the UK Inflation Fan Charts
This paper presents some simple methods to estimate the probability that realized inflation will breach a given inflation target range over a specified period, based on the Bank of England?s RPIX inflation forecasting model and the Monetary Policy Committee?s forecasts of the parameters on which this model is built. Illustrative results for plausible target ranges over the period up to 04Q1 indicate that these probabilities are low, if not very low, and strongly suggest that the Bank?s model over-estimates inflation risk.
|Date of creation:||09 2004|
|Date of revision:||11 Jan 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Jubilee Campus, Wollaton Road, Nottingham, NG8 1BB|
Phone: +44 (0) 115 84 66602
Fax: +44 (0) 115 84 66667
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/business/Divisions/EconomicsFinance/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John C. Williams, 2003.
"Simple rules for monetary policy,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 1-12.
- Robert Dittmar & William T. Gavin & Finn E. Kydland, 1999. "The inflation-output variability tradeoff and price-level targets," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 23-32.
- David L. Reifschneider & John C. Williams, 2000.
"Three lessons for monetary policy in a low-inflation era,"
Conference Series ; [Proceedings],
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, pages 936-978.
- David L. Reifschneider & John C. Williams, 1999. "Three lessons for monetary policy in a low inflation era," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1999-44, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kenneth F. Wallis, 2004. "An Assessment of Bank of England and National Institute Inflation Forecast Uncertainties," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 189(1), pages 64-71, July.
- Nessén, Marianne & Vestin, David, 2000.
"Average Inflation Targeting,"
Working Paper Series
119, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Wallis, Kenneth F., 2003.
"Chi-squared tests of interval and density forecasts, and the Bank of England's fan charts,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 165-175.
- Wallis, Kenneth F., 2001. "Chi-squared tests of interval and density forecasts and the Bank of England's fan charts," Working Paper Series 0083, European Central Bank.
- Wallis, Kenneth F., 2002. "Chi-squared tests of interval and density forecasts, and the Bank of England's fan charts," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 181, Royal Economic Society.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nub:occpap:11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Hoffmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.