Integrating time in public policy: Any evidence from gender diagnosis and budgeting
Incorporating time in public policy making is an elusive area of research. Despite the fact that gender budgeting is emerging as a significant socio-economic tool to analyze the fiscal policies to identify its effect on gender equity, the integration of time use statistics into this process remain partial or even nil across countries. If gender budgeting is predominantly based on the indexbased gender diagnosis, a relook into the construction of the gender (inequality) index is relevant. This is significant to avoid a partial capture of gender diagnosis in the budget policy making. The Hard-to-Price services are hardly analysed for public policy making. The issue is all the more revealing, as the available gender (inequality) index so far has not integrated time use statistics in its calculations. From a public finance perspective, gender budgeting process often rest on the assumption that mainstream expenditure such as public infrastructure is non rival in nature and applying gender lens to these is not feasible. This argument is refuted by the time budget statistics. The time budget data revealed that this argument is often flawed, as there is intrinsic gender dimension to the non-rival expenditure.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chakraborty, Lekha S., 2007. "Gender responsive budgeting and fiscal decentralisation in India: A preliminary appraisal," Working Papers 07/46, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Chakraborty, Lekha S., 2006. "Fiscal decentralisation and local level gender responsive budgeting in Philippines: An empirical analysis," Working Papers 06/41, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Chakraborty, Lekha S., 2007. "Public infrastructure investment and non-market work in India: Selective evidence from time use data," Working Papers 07/47, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Alexander Galetovic & Claudio E. Raddatz, 1998.
"Taxes and Income Distribution in Chile: Some Unpleasant Redistributive Arithmetic,"
NBER Working Papers
6828, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engel, Eduardo M. R. A. & Galetovic, Alexander & Raddatz, Claudio E., 1999. "Taxes and income distribution in Chile: some unpleasant redistributive arithmetic," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 155-192, June.
- Eduardo Engel & Alexander Galetovic & Claudio Raddatz, 1998. "Taxes and Income Distribution in Chile: Some Unpleasant Redistributive Arithmetic," Documentos de Trabajo 41, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2010.
"A New Data Set of Educational Attainment in the World, 1950-2010,"
NBER Working Papers
15902, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong Wha, 2013. "A new data set of educational attainment in the world, 1950–2010," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 184-198.
- M.Govinda Rao & Lekha S. Chakraborty, 2006.
"Fiscal Decentralisation and Local Level Gender Responsive Budgeting in Morocco: Some Observations,"
- M. Govinda Rao & Chakraborty, Lekha S., 2006. "Fiscal decentralisation and local level gender responsive budgeting in Morocco: Some observations," Working Papers 06/42, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Lekha S. Chakraborty, 2010. "Determining Gender Equity in Fiscal Federalism-- Analytical Issues and Empirical Evidence from India," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_590, Levy Economics Institute.
- Sudhir Anand and Amartya Sen, 2000. "The Income Component of Human Development Index," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-2000-01, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Sudhir Anand & Amartya Sen, 2000. "The Income Component of the Human Development Index," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106.
- Juster, F. Thomas & Stafford, Frank P., 1990.
"The Allocation of Time: Empirical Findings, Behavioural Models, and Problems of Measurement,"
Working Paper Series
258, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Juster, F Thomas & Stafford, Frank P, 1991. "The Allocation of Time: Empirical Findings, Behavioral Models, and Problems of Measurement," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(2), pages 471-522, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:npf:wpaper:13/127. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (S.Siva Chidambaram)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.