Decomposing the bid-ask spread in multi-dealer markets
In this paper, we modify the Huang and Stoll (1997) spread-decomposing model to fit multi-dealer markets. In a multi-dealer market, individual dealers can rebalance their inventories either by trading with other dealers or changing the quote price. Our modified model captures this feature. Using transaction data from the Reuters D2000-1 system, we find that the order-processing and inventory control components of the spread in the foreign exchange market are relatively small and dealers may tolerate the unwanted inventory to keep the spread small to attract informed orders. The asymmetric information component carries the biggest weight. We study the time pattern of the spread and its components. The spread varies significantly with the time of day, but the inventory control and asymmetric information components do not.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics University of Nottingham University Park Nottingham NG7 2RD|
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geir Hoidal Bjonnes & Dagfinn Rime, 2003.
"Dealer Behavior and Trading Systems in Foreign Exchange Markets,"
2003/10, Norges Bank.
- Bjonnes, Geir Hoidal & Rime, Dagfinn, 2005. "Dealer behavior and trading systems in foreign exchange markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 571-605, March.
- Hoidal Bjonnes, Geir & Rime, Dagfinn, 2003. "Dealer Behavior and Trading Systems in Foreign Exchange Markets," SIFR Research Report Series 17, Institute for Financial Research.
- Frank McGroarty & Owain ap Gwilym & Stephen Thomas, 2007. "The Components of Electronic Inter-Dealer Spot FX Bid-Ask Spreads," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(9-10), pages 1635-1650.
- Lyons, Richard K., 1997. "A simultaneous trade model of the foreign exchange hot potato," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 275-298, May.
- Osler, Carol & Mende, Alexander & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2006.
"Price Discovery in Currency Markets,"
Hannover Economic Papers (HEP)
dp-351, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- S. Viswanathan & James J. D. Wang, 2004. "Inter-Dealer Trading in Financial Markets," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(4), pages 987-1040, October.
- McInish, Thomas H & Wood, Robert A, 1992. " An Analysis of Intraday Patterns in Bid/Ask Spreads for NYSE Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 753-64, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:not:notecp:14/03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.