How do Banking Crises Impact on Income Inequality?
We show that banking crises have an important effect on income distribution: inequality increases before banking crisis episodes and sharply decline afterwards. We also find that,while a large government size does not per se seem to reduce inequality, a rise in financial depth (i.e. better access to credit provided by the banking sector) contributes to a more equal distribution of income.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Núcleo de Investigação em Políticas Económicas, Escola de Economia e Gestão, Universidade do Minho, P-4710-057 Braga, Portugal|
Phone: +351-253604510 ext 5532
Web page: http://www3.eeg.uminho.pt/economia/nipe/versao_inglesa/index_uk.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jong-eun Lee, 2010. "Inequality in the globalizing Asia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(23), pages 2975-2984.
- Michael Kumhof & Romain Rancière & Pablo Winant, 2015.
"Inequality, Leverage, and Crises,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 105(3), pages 1217-1245, March.
- Romain Ranciere & Michael Kumhof, 2010. "Inequality, Leverage and Crises," IMF Working Papers 10/268, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Kumhof & Romain Rancière & Pablo Winant, 2015. "Inequality, Leverage, and Crises," Post-Print halshs-01511070, HAL.
- Romain Ranciere & Michael Kumhof, 2011. "Inequality, Leverage and Crises," 2011 Meeting Papers 1374, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Kumhof, Michael & Rancière, Romain, 2011. "Inequality, Leverage and Crises," CEPR Discussion Papers 8179, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Kumhof & Romain Rancière & Pablo Winant, 2015. "Inequality, Leverage, and Crises," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-01207208, HAL.
- Fitoussi Jean Paul & Saraceno Francesco, 2010. "Europe: How Deep Is a Crisis? Policy Responses and Structural Factors Behind Diverging Performances," Journal of Globalization and Development, De Gruyter, vol. 1(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Lane Kenworthy & Jonas Pontusson, 2005. "Rising Inequality and the Politics of Redistribution in Affluent Countries," LIS Working papers 400, LIS Cross-National Data Center in Luxembourg.
- Frederick Solt, 2009. "Standardizing the World Income Inequality Database," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 90(2), pages 231-242.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011. "From Financial Crash to Debt Crisis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(5), pages 1676-1706, August.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2010. "From Financial Crash to Debt Crisis," NBER Working Papers 15795, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Changkyu Choi, 2006. "Does foreign direct investment affect domestic income inequality?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(12), pages 811-814. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)