Closed-Form Likelihood Expansions for Multivariate Diffusions
This paper provides closed-form expansions for the transition density and likelihood function of arbitrary multivariate diffusions. The expansions are based on a Hermite series, whose coefficients are calculated explicitly by exploiting the special structure afforded by the diffusion hypothesis. Because the transition function for most diffusion models is not known explicitly, the expansions of this paper can help make maximum-likelihood a practical estimation method for discretely sampled multivariate diffusions. Examples of interest in financial econometrics are included.
|Date of creation:||May 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Ait-Sahalia, Yacine. "Closed-Form Likelihood Expansions for Multivariate Diffusions," Annals of Statistics, 2008, 36, 906-937. (1,Jan), 223-262.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Sargent, Thomas J, 1983.
"The Dimensionality of the Aliasing Problem in Models with Rational Spectral Densities,"
Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 377-87, March.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Thomas J. Sargent, 1981. "The dimensionality of the aliasing problem in models with rational spectral densities," Staff Report 72, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia & Robert Kimmel, 2002.
"Estimating Affine Multifactor Term Structure Models Using Closed-Form Likelihood Expansions,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0286, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aït-Sahalia, Yacine & Kimmel, Robert L., 2010. "Estimating affine multifactor term structure models using closed-form likelihood expansions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 113-144, October.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine & Kimmel, Robert L., 2008. "Estimating Affine Multifactor Term Structure Models Using Closed-Form Likelihood Expansions," Working Paper Series 2008-19, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Yacine Ait--Sahalia & Per A. Mykland, 2003.
"The Effects of Random and Discrete Sampling when Estimating Continuous--Time Diffusions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(2), pages 483-549, March.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia & Per A. Mykland, 2002. "The Effects of Random and Discrete Sampling When Estimating Continuous-Time Diffusions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0276, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Withers, C. S., 2000. "A simple expression for the multivariate Hermite polynomials," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 165-169, April.
- Egorov, Alexei V. & Li, Haitao & Xu, Yuewu, 2003. "Maximum likelihood estimation of time-inhomogeneous diffusions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 107-139, May.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 2002. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Discretely Sampled Diffusions: A Closed-form Approximation Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 223-262, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:8956. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.