Household Electricity Demand, Revisited
Recent efforts to restructure and partially deregulate electricity markets have renewed interest in understanding how consumers respond to price changes. Several interrelated problems complicate demand analyses of these markets, including nonlinear pricing, heterogeneity in households' price sensitivities, and data aggregation. This paper formulates a model of household electricity demand that addresses these difficulties. We estimate the model using data for a representative sample of California households, and summarize how electricity demand elasticities vary in that state. We then use the model to analyze the electricity consumption and expenditure effects of recent tariff structure changes in California.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Reiss, Peter C. and Matthew W. White. "Household Electricity Demand, Revisited." Review of Economic Studies 72, 3 (July 2005): 853-83.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Soren Blomquist & Whitney Newey, 2002.
"Nonparametric Estimation with Nonlinear Budget Sets,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(6), pages 2455-2480, November.
- Soren Blomquist & Whitney Newey, 1999. "Nonparametric Estimation with Nonlinear Budget Sets," Working papers 99-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Barnes, Roberta & Gillingham, Robert & Hagemann, Robert, 1981. "The Short-run Residential Demand for Electricity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(4), pages 541-52, November.
- G. Burtless & J. A. Hausman, 1977.
"The Effect of Taxation on Labor Supply: Evaluating the Gary Negative Income Tax Experiment,"
211, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Burtless, Gary & Hausman, Jerry A, 1978. "The Effect of Taxation on Labor Supply: Evaluating the Gary Negative Income Tax Experiments," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 1103-30, December.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1985. "The Econometrics of Nonlinear Budget Sets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1255-82, November.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Lester D. Taylor, 1975. "The Demand for Electricity: A Survey," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(1), pages 74-110, Spring.
- Dubin, Jeffrey A & McFadden, Daniel L, 1984. "An Econometric Analysis of Residential Electric Appliance Holdings and Consumption," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 345-62, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:8687. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.