Tax Policy and International Direct Investment
The effects of taxes on direct investment capital outflows are investigated using a theoretical model which integrates the investment and financial decisions of the parent and subsidiary. The resulting marginal qs and costs of capital show that intrafirm investment allocation and tax neutrality results critically hinge on the marginal financing regime. By identifying a channel(s) through which a specific tax policy affects firm decisions, the model evaluates the combined effects of the home country tax system on direct investment. Out analysis suggests that while the 1986 U.S. Tax Reform Act may have an ambiguous effect on the overall level of capital outflows, it may induce more equipment investments to be undertaken abroad.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1989|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1984.
"The Economic Effects of Dividend Taxation,"
343, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & John B. Shoven & John Whalley, 1983. "Domestic Tax Policy and the Foreign Sector: The Importance of Alternative Foreign Sector Formulations to Results from a General Equilibrium Tax Analysis Model," NBER Chapters, in: Behavioral Simulation Methods in Tax Policy Analysis, pages 333-368 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Auerbach, Alan J, 1983.
"Taxation, Corporate Financial Policy and the Cost of Capital,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 21(3), pages 905-40, September.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1982. "Taxation, Corporate Financial Policy and the Cost of Capital," NBER Working Papers 1026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hartman, David G., 1985. "Tax policy and foreign direct investment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 107-121, February.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Steve Symansky, 1989.
"International Spillovers of Taxation,"
NBER Working Papers
2927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael J. Boskin & William G. Gale, 1986.
"New Results on the Effects of Tax Policy on the International Location of Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
1862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael J. Boskin & William G. Gale, 1987. "New Results on the Effects of Tax Policy on the International Location of Investment," NBER Chapters, in: The Effects of Taxation on Capital Accumulation, pages 201-222 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kolpits, George F, 1972. "Dividend Remittance Behavior Within the International Firm: A Cross-country Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(3), pages 339-42, August.
- Joosung Jun, 1989. "U.S. Tax Policy and Direct Investment Abroad," NBER Working Papers 3049, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:3048. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.