Taxation And The Birth Of Foreign Subsidiaries
The paper studies the influence of tax policy on foreign direct investment with a particular emphasis on immature subsidiaries. Among other things it shows that taxes on repatriations reduce the subsidiary's "birth weight", that lump sum taxes reduce its cost of capital, and that the possibility of deferral increases this cost. The paper rejects the popular weighted average specification of the subsidiary's cost of capital.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1990|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PRINCETON UNIVERSITY, WOODROW WILSON SCHOOL OF PUBLIC AND INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS, DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS, PRINCETON NEW-JERSEY 08542 U.S.A.|
Phone: (609) 258-4800
Web page: http://wws.princeton.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Assaf Razin & Joel Slemrod, 1990. "Taxation in the Global Economy," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number razi90-1, October.
- King, Mervyn A, 1974. "Dividend Behaviour and the Theory of the Firm," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 41(161), pages 25-34, February.
- Bagwell, Laurie Simon & Shoven, John B, 1989. "Cash Distributions to Shareholders," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(3), pages 129-140, Summer.
- Bradford, David F., 1981.
"The incidence and allocation effects of a tax on corporate distributions,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-22, February.
- David F. Bradford, 1979. "The Incidence and Allocation Effects of a Tax on Corporate Distributions," NBER Working Papers 0349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Horst, Thomas, 1977. "American Taxation of Multinational Firms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 376-389, June.
- Joosung Jun, 1989. "Tax Policy and International Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 3048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitsuo Sato & Richard M. Bird, 1975. "International Aspects of the Taxation of Corporations and Shareholders (Aspects internationaux de l'imposition des sociÃ©tÃ©s et des actionnaires) (Aspectos internacionales de la tributaciÃ³n de socie," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(2), pages 384-455, July.
- Howitt, Peter & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1989. "Gradual Reforms of Capital Income Taxation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 106-124, March.
- Howitt, Peter & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1989. "Gradual Reforms of Capital Income Taxation," Munich Reprints in Economics 19370, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Hugh J. Ault & David F. Bradford, 1990. "Taxing International Income: An Analysis of the U.S. System and Its Economic Premises," NBER Chapters,in: Taxation in the Global Economy, pages 11-52 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David F. Bradford & Hugh J. Ault, 1989. "Taxing International Income: An Analysis of the U.S. System and Its Economic Premises," NBER Working Papers 3056, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. S. S. Edwards & M. J. Keen, 1984. "Wealth Maximization and the Cost of Capital: A Comment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 99(1), pages 211-214.
- King, Mervyn, 1989. "Economic growth and the life-cycle of firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(2-3), pages 325-334, March.
- Murray C. Kemp, 1962. "Foreign Investment And The National Advantage," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 38(81), pages 56-62, 03.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1984. "Die Bedeutung des Accelerated Cost Recovery System fur den internationalen Kapitalverkehr. (The Significance of the Accelerated Cost Recovery System for International Capital Movements. With English s," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(4), pages 542-576.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1979. "Wealth Maximization and the Cost of Capital," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(3), pages 433-446.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1980. "Wealth Maximization and the Cost of Capital," NBER Working Papers 0254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1973. "Taxation, corporate financial policy, and the cost of capital," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 1-34, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:priwdp:66. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.