Debt and Taxes in Eight U.S. Wars and Two Insurrections
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Barro, Robert J, 1974. "Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Elisa Faraglia & Albert Marcet & Rigas Oikonomou & Andrew Scott, 2019.
"Government Debt Management: The Long and the Short of It,"
Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 86(6), pages 2554-2604.
- Rigas Oikonomou, 2014. "Government Debt Management: The Long and Short of It," 2014 Meeting Papers 129, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Faraglia, Elisa & Marcet, Albert & Oikonomou, Rigas & Scott, Andrew, 2019. "Government debt management: The long and the short of it," CORE Discussion Papers RP 3086, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Faraglia, Elisa & Marcet, Albert & Oikonomou, Rigas & Scott, Andrew, 2014. "Government Debt Management: The Long and the Short of It," CEPR Discussion Papers 10281, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:ucp:bkecon:9780226520018 is not listed on IDEAS
- Garbade, Kenneth D., 2012. "Birth of a Market: The U.S. Treasury Securities Market from the Great War to the Great Depression," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262016370, September.
- Ohanian, Lee E, 1997. "The Macroeconomic Effects of War Finance in the United States: World War II and the Korean War," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(1), pages 23-40, March.
- Grubb, Farley, 2008.
"The Continental Dollar: How Much Was Really Issued?,"
The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 68(1), pages 283-291, March.
- Farley Grubb, 2007. "The Continental Dollar: How Much Was Really Issued ?," Working Papers 07-09, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- Farley Grubb, 2007. "The Continental Dollar: How Much Was Really Issued?," NBER Working Papers 13047, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J, 1979. "On the Determination of the Public Debt," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 940-971, October.
- Edwards, Ryan D., 2014.
"U.S. war costs: Two parts temporary, one part permanent,"
Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(C), pages 54-66.
- Ryan D. Edwards, 2010. "U.S. War Costs: Two Parts Temporary, One Part Permanent," NBER Working Papers 16108, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Bryant & Neil Wallace, 1984.
"A Price Discrimination Analysis of Monetary Policy,"
Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(2), pages 279-288.
- John Bryant & Neil Wallace, 1983. "A price discrimination analysis of monetary policy," Staff Report 51, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Lucas, Robert Jr. & Stokey, Nancy L., 1983.
"Optimal fiscal and monetary policy in an economy without capital,"
Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 55-93.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1982. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy in an Economy Without Capital," Discussion Papers 532, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- William D. Craighead, 2010. "Across Time And Regimes: 212 Years Of The Us‐Uk Real Exchange Rate," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 48(4), pages 951-964, October.
- Bordo Michael D. & Kydland Finn E., 1995. "The Gold Standard As a Rule: An Essay in Exploration," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 423-464, October.
- Eric Hilt & Wendy M. Rahn, 2018. "Financial Asset Ownership and Political Partisanship: Liberty Bonds and Republican Electoral Success in the 1920s," NBER Working Papers 24719, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard C. K. Burdekin & Marc D. Weidenmier, 2003.
"Suppressing Asset Price Inflation: The Confederate Experience, 1861--1865,"
Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 41(3), pages 420-432, July.
- Marc D. Weidenmier & Richard C.K. Burdekin, 2002. "Suppressing Asset Price Inflation: The Confederate Experience, 1861-1865," NBER Working Papers 9230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:ucp:bkecon:9780226519944 is not listed on IDEAS
- Burdekin Richard C. K. & Langdana Farrokh K., 1993. "War Finance in the Southern Confederacy, 1861-1865," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 352-376, July.
- Demian Pouzo & Ignacio Presno, 2015. "Optimal Taxation with Endogenous Default under Incomplete Markets," Papers 1508.03924, arXiv.org, revised May 2016.
- George Hall & Jonathan Payne & Thomas J. Sargent, 2018. "US Federal Debt 1776-1960: Quantities and Prices," Working Papers 18-25, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
More about this item
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- H56 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - National Security and War
- N41 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation - - - U.S.; Canada: Pre-1913
- N42 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation - - - U.S.; Canada: 1913-
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-HIS-2020-05-25 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-MAC-2020-05-25 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PBE-2020-05-25 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2020-05-25 (Public Finance)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:27115. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.