Structural Adjustment Policies in Highly Indebted Countries
This paper deals with structural adjustment in the highly indebted countries. The origins of the debt crisis are first analyzed. Then the nature of the adjustment followed by the debt ridden countries between 1982- 1987 is discussed. It is noted that for most nations the adjustment has been highly recessive. Next, the potential role of trade reforms in securing the resumption of sustained growth is analyzed.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1988|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Developing Country Debt and Economic Performance, Vol. 1: The Inter-national Financial System, edited by Jeffrey D. Sachs, pp. 159-207. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1989.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jagdish N. Bhagwati, 1978. "Appendix to "Anatomy and Consequences of Exchange Control Regimes"," NBER Chapters, in: Anatomy and Consequences of Exchange Control Regimes, pages 219-221 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Cumby & Richard M. Levich, 1987. "On the Definition and Magnitude of Recent Capital Flight," NBER Working Papers 2275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1986. "Issues in Medium-term Macroeconomic Adjustment," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 1(2), pages 163-82, July.
- Neary, J Peter, 1978. "Dynamic Stability and the Theory of Factor-Market Distortions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(4), pages 671-82, September.
- Jagdish N. Bhagwati, 1978. "Anatomy and Consequences of Exchange Control Regimes," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bhag78-1, September.
- Selowsky, Marcelo & Van Der Tak, Herman G., 1986. "The debt problem and growth," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(9), pages 1107-1124, September.
- Arye L. Hillman & Edward Tower & Gideon Fishelson, 1980. "On Water in the Quota," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(2), pages 310-17, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:2502. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.