Multilateral Institutions and African Economic Integration
A matter of long-standing policy concern is the limited extent to which many countries in Africa have been able to diversify their economies. The global phenomenon of supply chain trade in principle generates opportunities for specialization in processing activities and labour- or natural-resource intensive tasks that are part of international value chains. This paper discusses what role international organizations – in particular the global trade body, the WTO, and the multilateral financial institutions – have played in assisting efforts to enhance the ability of firms in Africa to participate in value chains by lowering trade costs, suggests some implications for trade governance at both the national and global level.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Convento, Via delle Fontanelle, 19, 50014 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy|
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/RSCAS/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wacziarg, Romain & Welch, Karen Horn, 2003.
"Trade Liberalization and Growth: New Evidence,"
1826, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Michael Keen & Thomas Baunsgaard, 2005.
"Tax Revenue and (or?) Trade Liberalization,"
IMF Working Papers
05/112, International Monetary Fund.
- Joseph F. Francois & B. Hoekman, 2009.
"Services Trade and Policy,"
wiiw Working Papers
60, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Joseph F. Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," Economics working papers 2009-03, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 7616, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Zhiwei Zhang, 2006.
"Do External Interventions Work? The Case of Trade Reform Conditions in IMF Supported Programs,"
NBER Working Papers
12667, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wei, Shang-Jin & Zhang, Zhiwei, 2010. "Do external interventions work? The case of trade reform conditions in IMF supported programs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 71-81, May.
- Freund, Caroline; Rocha, Nadia, 2010.
"What Constrains Africas Exports?,"
CAGE Online Working Paper Series
16, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Freund, Caroline & Rocha, Nadia, 2010. "What constrains Africa's exports ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5184, The World Bank.
- Freund, Caroline & Rocha, Nadia, 2010. "What constrains Africa's exports?," WTO Staff Working Papers ERSD-2010-07, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Bernard M. Hoekman & Aaditya Mattoo, 2013. "Liberalizing Trade in Services: Lessons from Regional and WTO Negotiations," RSCAS Working Papers 2013/34, European University Institute.
- Greenaway, David & Morgan, Wyn & Wright, Peter, 2002. "Trade liberalisation and growth in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 229-244, February.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1978. "Liberalization Attempts and Consequences," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number krue78-1, September.
- Laborde, David & Martin, Will & van der Mensbrugghe, Dominique, 2011.
"Measuring the impacts of global trade reform with optimal aggregators of distortions,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5665, The World Bank.
- Laborde Debucquet, David & Martin, Will & van der Mensbrugghe, Dominique, 2011. "Measuring the impacts of global trade reform with optimal aggregators of distortions:," IFPRI discussion papers 1123, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Kym Anderson & William A. Masters, 2009.
"Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Africa,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 2607.
- Jose Guilherme Reis & Thomas Farole, 2012. "Trade Competitiveness Diagnostic Toolkit," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2248.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2006.
"Estimating trade restrictiveness indices,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3840, The World Bank.
- Jagdish N. Bhagwati, 1978. "Anatomy and Consequences of Exchange Control Regimes," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bhag78-1, September.
- Michael Keen & Mario Mansour, 2010. "Revenue Mobilisation in Sub-Saharan Africa: Challenges from Globalisation I - Trade Reform," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 28(5), pages 553-571, 09.
- Jean-François Arvis & Gaël Raballand & Jean-François Marteau, 2010.
"The Cost of Being Landlocked : Logistics Costs and Supply Chain Reliability,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 2489.
- Arvis, Jean-Francois & Raballand, Gael & Marteau, Jean-Francois, 2007. "The cost of being landlocked : logistics costs and supply chain reliability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4258, The World Bank.
- Olivier Cadot & Mariem Malouche & Sebastián Sáez, 2012. "Streamlining Non-Tariff Measures : A Toolkit for Policy Makers," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6019.
- Simeon Djankov & Caroline Freund & Cong S. Pham, 2010.
"Trading on Time,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 92(1), pages 166-173, February.
- Michael Keen & Mario Mansour, 2010. "Revenue Mobilisation in Sub-Saharan Africa: Challenges from Globalisation II - Corporate Taxation," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 28(5), pages 573-596, 09.
- Yvan Decreux & Lionel Fontagné, 2011. "Economic Impact of Potential Outcome of the DDA," Working Papers 2011-23, CEPII research center.
- Ingo Borchert & Batshur Gootiiz & Aaditya Mattoo, 2014.
"Policy Barriers to International Trade in Services: Evidence from a New Database,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 28(1), pages 162-188.
- Borchert, Ingo & Gootiiz, Batshur & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2012. "Policy barriers to international trade in services : evidence from a new database," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6109, The World Bank.
- Hoekman, Bernard M. & Kostecki, Michel M., 2009. "The Political Economy of the World Trading System," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 3, number 9780199553778, December.
- Cattaneo, Olivier & Braga, Carlos A. Primo, 2009. "Everything you always wanted to know about wto accession (but were afraid to ask)," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5116, The World Bank.
- Jagdish N. Bhagwati, 1978. "Appendix to "Anatomy and Consequences of Exchange Control Regimes"," NBER Chapters, in: Anatomy and Consequences of Exchange Control Regimes, pages 219-221 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rsc:rsceui:2013/67. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RSCAS web unit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.