The World Bank Group Trade Strategy: Fit for Purpose?
In 2011 the World Bank Group (WBG) issued a new trade strategy. This identifies the primary axes for WBG engagement and support activities and areas where action is likely to have the greatest positive impact in terms of helping developing countries to integrate further into the world economy and to benefit from global trade opportunities. This paper briefly discusses the rationale for the development of a strategy and some criticisms that have been directed at it, in particular the view that the strategy neglects to prioritize trade liberalization and as a result is less effective.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Convento, Via delle Fontanelle, 19, 50014 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy|
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/RSCAS/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jose Guilherme Reis & Thomas Farole, 2012. "Trade Competitiveness Diagnostic Toolkit," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2248, October.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2006.
"Estimating Trade Restrictiveness Indices,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5576, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier Cadot & Mariem Malouche & Sebastián Sáez, 2012. "Streamlining Non-Tariff Measures : A Toolkit for Policy Makers," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6019, October.
- Arvis, Jean-Francois & Raballand, Gael & Marteau, Jean-Francois, 2007.
"The cost of being landlocked : logistics costs and supply chain reliability,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4258, The World Bank.
- Jean-François Arvis & Gaël Raballand & Jean-François Marteau, 2010. "The Cost of Being Landlocked : Logistics Costs and Supply Chain Reliability," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2489, October.
- Ingo Borchert & Batshur Gootiiz & Aaditya Mattoo, 2014.
"Policy Barriers to International Trade in Services: Evidence from a New Database,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 28(1), pages 162-188.
- Borchert, Ingo & Gootiiz, Batshur & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2012. "Policy barriers to international trade in services : evidence from a new database," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6109, The World Bank.
- Joseph F. Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2009.
"Services Trade and Policy,"
Economics working papers
2009-03, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- L. Alan Winters & Neil McCulloch & Andrew McKay, 2004. "Trade Liberalization and Poverty: The Evidence So Far," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 42(1), pages 72-115, March.
- Chad P. Bown, 2011. "The Great Recession and Import Protection : The Role of Temporary Trade Barriers," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 16359, October.
- Bown, Chad P. & Crowley, Meredith A., 2012.
"Import protection, business cycles, and exchange rates : evidence from the great recession,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6038, The World Bank.
- Bown, Chad P. & Crowley, Meredith A., 2013. "Import protection, business cycles, and exchange rates: Evidence from the Great Recession," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 50-64.
- Chad P. Bown & Meredith A. Crowley, 2011. "Import protection, business cycles, and exchange rates: evidence from the Great Recession," Working Paper Series WP-2011-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rsc:rsceui:pp2013/04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RSCAS web unit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.