Is a VC Partnership Greater than the Sum of its Partners?
This paper investigates whether individual venture capitalists have repeatable investment skill and to what extent their skill is impacted by the VC firm where they work. We examine a unique dataset that tracks the performance of individual venture capitalists' investments across time and as they move between firms. We find evidence of skill and exit style differences even among venture partners investing at the same VC firm at the same time. Furthermore, our estimates suggest the partner's human capital is two to five times more important than the VC firm's organizational capital in explaining performance.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||CF IO PR|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bottazzi, Laura & Da Rin, Marco & Hellmann, Thomas, 2008.
"Who are the active investors?: Evidence from venture capital,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 488-512, September.
- Bottazzi, L. & Da Rin, M. & Hellmann, T., 2008. "Who are the active investors? Evidence from venture capital," Other publications TiSEM 9336411f-ac48-4fad-8a2c-d, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- L. Bottazzi & M. Da Rin & T. Hellmann, 2007. "Who are the active investors? Evidence from Venture Capital," Working Papers 611, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Josh Lerner & Antoinette Schoar & Wan Wong, 2005.
"Smart Institutions, Foolish Choices? The Limited Partner Performance Puzzle,"
NBER Working Papers
11136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Josh Lerner & Antoinette Schoar & Wan Wongsunwai, 2007. "Smart Institutions, Foolish Choices: The Limited Partner Performance Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(2), pages 731-764, 04.
- Gary S. Becker, 1981. "A Treatise on the Family," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck81-1, December.
- Hellmann, Thomas F. & Puri, Manju, 2000.
"Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-up Firms: Empirical Evidence,"
1661, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Thomas Hellmann & Manju Puri, 2002. "Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-Up Firms: Empirical Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 169-197, 02.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-305977 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gompers, Paul & Kovner, Anna & Lerner, Josh & Scharfstein, David, 2010. "Performance persistence in entrepreneurship," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 18-32, April.
- Thomas Cornelissen, 2008. "The Stata command felsdvreg to fit a linear model with two high-dimensional fixed effects," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(2), pages 170-189, June.
- Marianne Bertrand & Antoinette Schoar, 2003.
"Managing With Style: The Effect Of Managers On Firm Policies,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 118(4), pages 1169-1208, November.
- Bertrand, Marianne & Schoar, Antoinette, 2003. "Managing With Style: The Effect of Managers on Firm Policies," Working papers 4280-02, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Phalippou, Ludovic, 2010. "Venture capital funds: Flow-performance relationship and performance persistence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 568-577, March.
- John R. Graham & Si Li & Jiaping Qiu, 2012. "Managerial Attributes and Executive Compensation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 25(1), pages 144-186.
- Kremer, Michael, 1993. "The O-Ring Theory of Economic Development," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 551-75, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:19120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.