How Does Simplified Disclosure Affect Individuals' Mutual Fund Choices?
We use an experiment to estimate the effect of the SEC's Summary Prospectus, which simplifies mutual fund disclosure. Our subjects chose an equity portfolio and a bond portfolio. Subjects received either statutory prospectuses or Summary Prospectuses. We find no evidence that the Summary Prospectus affects portfolio choices. Our experiment sheds new light on the scope of investor confusion about sales loads. Even with a one-month investment horizon, subjects do not avoid loads. Subjects are either confused about loads, overlook them, or believe their chosen portfolio has an annualized log return that is 24 percentage points higher than the load-minimizing portfolio.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Chapter How Does Simplified Disclosure Affect Individuals' Mutual Fund Choices? Edited by John Beshears, James J. Choi, David Laibson and Brigitte C. Madrian in Explorations in the Economics of Aging Published by University of Chicago Press Published in print May 2011 | ISBN: 9780226903378 Published online February 2013 | e-ISBN: 9780226903385 | DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7208/chicago/9780226903385.003.0003|
|Note:||AG AP PE|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Choi & David Laibson & Brigitte Madrian, 2008.
"Why Does the Law of One Price Fail? An Experiment on Index Mutual Funds,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
amz2369, Yale School of Management, revised 05 May 2008.
- James J. Choi & David Laibson & Brigitte C. Madrian, 2010. "Why Does the Law of One Price Fail? An Experiment on Index Mutual Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(4), pages 1405-1432, April.
- James J Choi & David Laibson & Brigitte C Madrian, 2008. "Why Does the Law of One Price Fail? An Experiment on Index Mutual Funds," Levine's Working Paper Archive 122247000000002014, David K. Levine.
- James J. Choi & David Laibson & Brigitte C. Madrian, 2006. "Why Does the Law of One Price Fail? An Experiment on Index Mutual Funds," NBER Working Papers 12261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Choi, James & Madrian, Brigitte & Laibson, David I., 2010. "Why Does the Law of One Price Fail? An Experiment on Index Mutual Funds," Scholarly Articles 4686775, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Henrik Cronqvist, 2005.
"Advertising and Portfolio Choice,"
CeRP Working Papers
44, Center for Research on Pensions and Welfare Policies, Turin (Italy).
- Shlomo Benartzi & Richard H. Thaler, 1999. "Risk Aversion or Myopia? Choices in Repeated Gambles and Retirement Investments," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(3), pages 364-381, March.
- Richard H. Thaler & Shlomo Benartzi, 2001. "Naive Diversification Strategies in Defined Contribution Saving Plans," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 79-98, March.
- Edwin J. Elton & Martin J. Gruber & Jeffrey A. Busse, 2004. "Are Investors Rational? Choices among Index Funds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(1), pages 261-288, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:14859. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.