Home Production and the Macro Economy-Some Lessons from Pollak and Wachter and from Transition Russia
Recent years witnessed a flourishing of literature on the implication of shifts from home- production to market production on the macro economy, and in particular, the real business cycle. This literature employs calibration techniques to emulate the fluctuations in market output, labor and capital inputs and productivity over the business cycle, assuming a representative consumer and using stylized parameters of the substitution elasticity between home and market goods, and of the home production function. This paper argues that the parameters used in this literature cannot be verified empirically because of econometric identification problems. Furthermore, using data from the late 90s from transition Russia, it is argued that one cannot capture the fluctuation between the home and the market by using a representative consumer, since there is a distinct difference between males and females in their reaction to loss of employment: men shift most of the time released from market work to leisure while women divide it almost equally between work at home and leisure. Finally it is shown that the switch from a controlled economy to a market economy resulted in significant increase in home productivity and an increase in the free time enjoyed by both Russian men and women.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greenwood, J. & Hercowitz, Z., 1991.
"The Allocation of Capital and Time Over the Business Cycle,"
RCER Working Papers
268, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi, 1991. "The Allocation of Capital and Time over the Business Cycle," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(6), pages 1188-214, December.
- Greenwood, J. & Hercowitz, Z., 1991. "The Allocation of Capital and Time Over the Business Cycles," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9104, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Browning, Martin & Deaton, Angus & Irish, Margaret, 1985. "A Profitable Approach to Labor Supply and Commodity Demands over the Life-Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(3), pages 503-43, May.
- Gilbert Ghez & Gary S. Becker, 1975. "The Allocation of Time and Goods over the Life Cycle," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number ghez75-1, September.
- John Y. Campbell & Sydney Ludvigson, 1997.
"Elasticities of substitution in real business cycle models with home production,"
9733, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Campbell, John Y & Ludvigson, Sydney, 2001. "Elasticities of Substitution in Real Business Cycle Models with Home Protection," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 847-75, November.
- John Y. Campbell & Sydney Ludvigson, 1998. "Elasticities of Substitution in Real Business Cycle Models with Home Production," NBER Working Papers 6763, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John & Ludvigson, Sydney, 2001. "Elasticities of Substitution in Real Business Cycle Models with Home Production," Scholarly Articles 3163262, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & Sydney Ludvigson, 2000. "Elasticities of Substitution in Real Business Cycle Models with Home Production," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1900, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Simon Kuznets & Lillian Epstein & Elizabeth Jenks, 1946.
"National Income and Its Composition, 1919-1938, Volume II,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number kuzn41-3, September.
- Simon Kuznets & Lillian Epstein & Elizabeth Jenks, 1941. "National Income and Its Composition, 1919-1938, Volume I," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number kuzn41-1, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:12287. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.