A Theory of Current Account and Exchange Rate Determinations
The purpose of this paper Is to construct a two-period, two-country model that derives the current account, the exchange rate,the terms of trade, and real interest rates from optimal behavior principles.This is done by constructing a model that uses money mainly as a means of exchange, where the technology of exchange is flexible due to potential substitutability of time and real balances as a means of coordinating transactions. The discussion results in a framework that integrates elements of net saving theories and the monetary approach into a unified structure, in which the two approaches are complementary viewpoints.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1983|
|Publication status:||published as Aizenman, Joshua. "A Theory of Current Account and Exchange Rate Determinations." European Economic Review, Vol. 23, (1983), pp. 261-280.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svensson, Lars E O & Razin, Assaf, 1983. "The Terms of Trade and the Current Account: The Harberger-Laursen-Metzler Effect," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 97-125, February.
- Alan C. Stockman, 1978.
"A Theory of Exchange Rate Determination,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
113, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs, 1981. "The Current Account and macroeconomic Adjustment in the 1970s," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 12(1), pages 201-282.
- Liviatan, Nissan, 1981. "Monetary Expansion and Real Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1218-1227, December.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Razin, Assaf, 1982.
"Dynamics of a Floating Exchange Rate Regime,"
3445095, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Frenkel, Jacob A, 1973. "Inflation and Growth: Alternative Approaches," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 5(1), pages 141-156, Part I Fe.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1177. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.