Minimum Hours Constraints and Retirement Behavior
This paper presents statistics which confirm the existence of minimum hours constraints for jobs held by a majority of prime aged male workers who are not self employed. It then considers the implications of these constraints for studies of retirement behavior and related policy analyses. Potential biases associated with conventional analyses, which either ignore the existence of minimum hours constraints or assume they are pervasive, are discussed in the context of structural life cycle retirement models. A more realistic but still imperfect specification, which can be estimated given available data, assumes minimum hours constraints on the main job and variable hours elsewhere.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1982|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Gustman, Alan L. Gustman and Thomas L. Steinmeier. "Minimum Hours Constraints and Retirement Behavior." Contemporary Policy Issues, (Supplement to Economic Inquiry), No. 3, (April 1983), pp. 77-91.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.orgEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivia S. Mitchell & Gary S. Fields, 1981. "The Effects of Pensions and Earnings on Retirement: A Review Essay," NBER Working Papers 0772, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon, Roger H. & Blinder, Alan S., 1980.
"Market wages, reservation wages, and retirement decisions,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 277-308, October.
- Roger H. Gordon & Alan S. Blinder, 1980. "Market wages, reservation wages, and retirement decisions," NBER Chapters, in: Econometric Studies in Public Finance, pages 277-308 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roger H. Gordon & Alan S. Blinder, 1980. "Market Wages, Reservation Wages, and Retirement Decisions," NBER Working Papers 0513, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 1981.
"Partial Retirement and the Analysis of Retirement Behavior,"
NBER Working Papers
0763, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 1984. "Partial retirement and the analysis of retirement behavior," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 37(3), pages 403-415, April.
- Anthony J. Pellechio, 1981. "Social Security and the Decision to Retire," NBER Working Papers 0734, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deardorff, Alan V & Stafford, Frank P, 1976. "Compensation of Cooperating Factors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 671-84, July.
- Boskin, Michael J. & Hurd, Michael D., 1978.
"The effect of social security on early retirement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 361-377, December.
- John B. Burbidge & A. Leslie Robb, 1980. "Pensions and Retirement Behaviour," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(3), pages 421-37, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0940. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.