Biases in Twin Estimates of the Return to Schooling: A Note on Recent Research
Ashenfelter and Krueger's (1993) within-twin, measurement-error- corrected estimate of the return to schooling is about 13-16 percent. If their estimate is unbiased, then their results imply considerable downward measurement error bias in uncorrected within-twin estimates of the return to schooling, and considerable downward omitted ability bias in cross-section estimates. This note points out that if there are ability differences among twins, then AK's IV estimator exacerbates the omitted ability bias in the within-twin estimate. Thus, upward omitted ability bias in within-twin estimates may provide an alternative explanation of the surprisingly high estimates of the return to schooling that AK obtain, and permit their results to be reconciled with upward, rather than downward omitted ability bias in cross-section estimates.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Neumark, David. "Biases In Twin Estimates Of The Return To Schooling," Education of Economics Review, 1999, v18(2,Apr), 143-148.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan Krueger & Orley Ashenfelter, 1992.
"Estimates of the Economic Return to Schooling from a New Sample of Twins,"
NBER Working Papers
4143, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ashenfelter, Orley & Krueger, Alan B, 1994. "Estimates of the Economic Returns to Schooling from a New Sample of Twins," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1157-73, December.
- Orley Ashenfelter & Alan Krueger, 1992. "Estimates of the Economic Return to Schooling from a New Sample of Twins," Working Papers 683, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Griliches, Zvi, 1979. "Sibling Models and Data in Economics: Beginnings of a Survey," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages S37-64, October.
- Behrman, Jere R & Rosenzweig, Mark R & Taubman, Paul, 1994. "Endowments and the Allocation of Schooling in the Family and in the Marriage Market: The Twins Experiment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1131-74, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberte:0158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.