Description Length Based Signal Detection in singular Spectrum Analysis
This paper provides an information theoretic analysis of the signal-noise separation problem in Singular Spectrum Analysis. We present a signal-plus-noise model based on the Karhunen-Loève expansion and use this model to motivate the construction of a minimum description length criterion that can be employed to select both the window length and the signal. We show that under very general regularity conditions the criterion will identify the true signal dimension with probability one as the sample size increases, and will choose the smallest window length consistent with the Whitney embedding theorem. Empirical results obtained using simulated and real world data sets indicate that the asymptotic theory is reflected in observed behaviour, even in relatively small samples.
|Date of creation:||24 May 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 11E, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia|
Phone: +61 3 99052489
Fax: +61 3 99055474
Web page: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen M. H & Yu B., 2001. "Model Selection and the Principle of Minimum Description Length," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 746-774, June.
- D.S. Poskitt & Jing Zhang, 2004. "Estimating Components in Finite Mixtures and Hidden Markov Models," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 10/04, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Hassani, Hossein & Heravi, Saeed & Zhigljavsky, Anatoly, 2009. "Forecasting European industrial production with singular spectrum analysis," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 103-118.
- Poskitt, D.S. & Sengarapillai, Arivalzahan, 2013.
"Description length and dimensionality reduction in functional data analysis,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 98-113.
- D. S. Poskitt & Arivalzahan Sengarapillai, 2009. "Description Length and Dimensionality Reduction in Functional Data Analysis," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 13/09, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Hassani, Hossein, 2007. "Singular Spectrum Analysis: Methodology and Comparison," MPRA Paper 4991, University Library of Munich, Germany. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msh:ebswps:2010-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr Xibin Zhang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.