Window Length Selection and Signal-Noise Separation and Reconstruction in Singular Spectrum Analysis
In Singular Spectrum Analysis (SSA) window length is a critical tuning parameter that must be assigned by the practitioner. This paper provides a theoretical analysis of signal-noise separation and reconstruction in SSA that can serve as a guide to optimal window choice. We establish numerical bounds on the mean squared reconstruction error and present their almost sure limits under very general regularity conditions on the underlying data generating mechanism. We also provide asymptotic bounds for the mean squared separation error. Evidence obtained using simulation experiments indicates that the theoretical properties are reflected in observed behaviour, even in relatively small samples, and the results indicate how an optimal choice for the window length can be made.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/depts/ebs/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/depts/ebs/pubs/wpapers/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Poskitt, Don S, 2000. "Strongly Consistent Determination of Cointegrating Rank via Canonical Correlations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(1), pages 77-90, January.
- Forni, Mario & Lippi, Marco, 2001.
"The Generalized Dynamic Factor Model: Representation Theory,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(06), pages 1113-1141, December.
- Forni, Mario & Lippi, Marco, 2000. "The Generalized Dynamic Factor Model: Representation Theory," CEPR Discussion Papers 2509, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Li, Baibing & Martin, Elaine B. & Morris, A. Julian, 2002. "On principal component analysis in L1," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 471-474, September.
- Md Atikur Rahman Khan & D.S. Poskitt, 2010. "Description Length Based Signal Detection in singular Spectrum Analysis," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 13/10, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msh:ebswps:2011-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Grose)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.