Description length and dimensionality reduction in functional data analysis
The use of description length principles to select an appropriate number of basis functions for functional data is investigated. A flexible definition of the dimension of a random function that is constructed directly from the Karhunen–Loève expansion of the observed process or data generating mechanism is provided. The results obtained show that although the classical, principle component variance decomposition technique will behave in a coherent manner, in general, the dimension chosen by this technique will not be consistent in the conventional sense. Two description length criteria are described. Both of these criteria are proved to be consistent and it is shown that in low noise settings they will identify the true finite dimension of a signal that is embedded in noise. Two examples, one from mass spectroscopy and the other from climatology, are used to illustrate the basic ideas. The application of different forms of the bootstrap for functional data is also explored and used to demonstrate the workings of the theoretical results.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 58 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen M. H & Yu B., 2001. "Model Selection and the Principle of Minimum Description Length," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 746-774, June.
- Jeng-Min Chiou & Pai-Ling Li, 2007. "Functional clustering and identifying substructures of longitudinal data," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(4), pages 679-699.
- Ferraty, F. & Vieu, P., 2003. "Curves discrimination: a nonparametric functional approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 161-173, October.
- Ferraty, Frédéric & Vieu, Philippe, 2009. "Additive prediction and boosting for functional data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 1400-1413, February.
- Philippe C. Besse, 2000. "Autoregressive Forecasting of Some Functional Climatic Variations," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 27(4), pages 673-687.
- Boente, Graciela & Fraiman, Ricardo, 2000. "Kernel-based functional principal components," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 335-345, July.
- Peter Hall & Céline Vial, 2006. "Assessing the finite dimensionality of functional data," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(4), pages 689-705.
- Li, Baibing & Martin, Elaine B. & Morris, A. Julian, 2002. "On principal component analysis in L1," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 471-474, September.
- Peter Hall & Mohammad Hosseini-Nasab, 2006. "On properties of functional principal components analysis," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(1), pages 109-126.
- Yao, Fang & Muller, Hans-Georg & Wang, Jane-Ling, 2005. "Functional Data Analysis for Sparse Longitudinal Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 577-590, June.
- Ramsay, James O. & Ramsey, James B., 2002. "Functional data analysis of the dynamics of the monthly index of nondurable goods production," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 327-344, March.
- Li, Bin & Yu, Qingzhao, 2008. "Classification of functional data: A segmentation approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(10), pages 4790-4800, June.